About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment. Position Summary
We are seeking multiple Research Associate II candidates within the multidisciplinary research team headed by Dr. Ajay Goel, Professor and Chair, Department of Molecular Diagnostics and Experimental Therapeutics and Associate Director of Basic Sciences, City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer.
Our multidisciplinary research group comprises of basic biologists, gastroenterologists, surgeons, oncologists and bioinformaticians, undertaking a number of collaborative projects involving large international consortia. Our research is focused on translational research as it relates to genomic and epigenomic characterization of various gastrointestinal cancers (GI) including colorectal, pancreatic and gastric cancers, and some of the key research topics include: 1) Development of circulating DNA/RNA-based liquid biopsy biomarkers for cancer diagnosis, prognosis and predictive response to various therapies. 2) Study the epigenetic basis of GI cancers (e.g. aberrant DNA methylation, histone modifications and non-coding RNAs. 3) The genetic basis of early-onset and familial/hereditary colorectal cancers. 4) The role of tumor microenvironment, stem cells, immune regulation and identification of novel targeted therapies. 5) The role of extracellular vesicles/exosomes as in cancer pathogenesis and their role as disease biomarkers. Our group performs cutting-edge research in GI oncology, is very productive and publishes in high-impact journals such as Gastroenterology, JNCI, Clinical Cancer Research, Nature Communications, Annals of Surgery etc. Key Responsibilities include:
- Various aspects of lab management, including maintenance and upkeep of reagent and clinical specimen inventories, ordering, lab safety and regulatory tasks.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
- Performs a variety of routine and non-routine laboratory research experiments. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- Troubleshoots procedures if experiment results are unexpected or unsatisfactory. Recommends alternative procedures.
- The individual will perform Cancer Genetics and Epigenetics techniques and general lab maintenance that assists the conduction of an Investigator's Research Project. They must demonstrate an aptitude for acquiring knowledge and new skills that relate to Cancer Genetics and Epigenetics.
- Exploration of the role of aberrant DNA methylation, histone modifications and non-coding RNAs (miRNA, lncRNAs, snoRNAs, piRNAs etc.) in gastrointestinal cancers.
- Establishment of innovative methodologies for the development of epigenetic and non-coding RNAs-based biomarkers for the earlier diagnosis, prognosis and predictive responses to chemotherapy in gastrointestinal neoplasia.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Responsible for accurately recording work performed including results and methodology. Calculates, compiles and analyzes data obtained from work performed.
- Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results by providing input to overall research design. Trains lab staff in specialized procedures, equipment and theoretical concepts behind unique tests.
- May contribute to the preparation of manuscripts by describing methods and specialized techniques. Keeps abreast of new and improved techniques.
- Attends lab meetings, read assigned literature and occasionally create presentations on his/her project at the request of the Investigator.
- Bachelor's degree. Master's degree preferred.
- Two years related research/ laboratory experience with a Bachelor's degree or
- One year related research/ laboratory experience with a Master's degree
- Assist and preform Immunology techniques such as tissue culture, flow cytometry (analysis), and/or molecular tests, according to the Laboratory's Standard Operating Procedures. Have the ability to use all equipment and apparatus necessary for work performance. Always work according to the policies for safe Laboratory practices as established by Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope.
- Perform routine laboratory cleaning and maintenance according to Standard Operating Procedures such as using appropriate cleaners to wipe bench and hood surfaces, incubators, water baths and other equipment or apparatus. Monitor equipment for optimal performance.
- Record all experiments performed and data generated in a laboratory notebook according to the policy and procedure established by Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope.
- To apply, please submit your current CV/resume along with a cover letter highlighting your research accomplishments, a brief statement explaining how your past research ties in with the goals of our laboratory, and future career plans.
- For more information about the groundbreaking research taking place in the Ajay Goel, Ph.D lab, please visit www.cityofhope.org/mdet.
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.