About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.Position Summary
The Nurse Manager is responsible for direct operational aspects, patient quality and patient experience of designated unit(s) on a 7-day/week, 24-hour basis in collaboration with the Senior Nurse Manager.
Be a positive leader with excellent people skills and nurturing of human resources. Encourage open and positive communication as an advocate for COH, the staff and our patients; collaborate with both internal and external customers to meet our strategic goals. Be a change agent and encourage staff to welcome change. Monitor and control resources (human and material), provide excellent customer service. Encourage higher learning/ professional development in staff. Assures professional and regulatory standards are met and maintained.Key Responsibilities include:
Program Planning and Goal Setting
- Assist leadership in managing and implementing departmental programs and goals that support the strategic plan for the organization and for patient care services
- Support departmental implementation of new technology, services, and ongoing improvement
- Effectively communicate (written & oral) across the organization.
Patient Care and Clinical Quality
- Establish and support standards for patient care to assure patient care is timely, safe and effective.
- Assure satisfaction of patients, physicians and other customers with care and services that are delivered.
- Develop and fosters collaborative relationships with other departments to support safe and high-quality patient care and services.
- Assure regulatory standards are met
- Measure performance of staff to meet regulatory and patient care standards
- Report results of ongoing quality metrics as appropriate and develop corrective action plans in collaboration with Senior Nurse Manager
- Promote the utilization of evidence based practice in delivery of patient care.
- Support and facilitate critical thinking of staff.
- Maintain required competencies and participate in direct patient care as indicated
- First responder to TIPs (Tracking Information for Patient Safety). Collect and assess facts and formulate a response. Escalate unresolved issues to next level nursing leadership and to the interprofessional team.
Personnel and Human Resource Management
- Develop, maintain and monitor staffing plan for assigned units in collaboration with Senior Nurse Manager to ensure needs are met. Participates in recruitment and maintains adequate numbers of competent staff to provide care and meet patient care standards.
- Facilitate the orientation of new staff and the continuing education and professional development of existing staff.
- Assure staff have current licenses, certifications and are competent to provide care.
- Manage and lead staff to develop collaborative working relationships within department and with other departments as applicable.
- Collaborates with Senior Nurse Manager and human resources to provide counseling or performance improvement of staff as needed.
- Support and develop the staff to ensure availability to participate in (shared governance) at the unit and organizational level.
- Provides oversight and manages temporary (registry/traveler/float) staff that may be assigned to department(s).
- Participates in development of annual budget for assigned department(s)
- Monitor variances from budget on a periodic basis
- Collaborate with others to identify capital equipment and projects needs on an annual basis
- Develops annual staffing plan and submits for approval.
- Identifies need for modifications to annual staffing plan and submits justification for new positions or changes to staffing plan.
- Submits required documents for purchasing equipment, supplies, and or for department repairs
- Collaborates with Nursing Leadership in the development of Return on Investment (ROI) for new programs or services
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Follows hospital code of conduct for behavior
- Maintain professional appearance in business or business casual attire
- Creates positive and collaborative work environment
- Respond and arrive prepared and in a timely manner
- Assume positive intent and remain open minded
- Communicate clearly with honesty and integrity
- Be respectful and committed to the organization at all times
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- 3 years of experience in an area of expertise relevant to the department with demonstrated progressive leadership growth.
- Demonstrate awareness and understanding of relational competencies and serve as professional role model for staff.
- Demonstrate the ability to establish a long-term vision and inspire others to engage.
- Demonstrate delegation and coaching skills.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- California RN license required
- Effective January 1, 2020, National Certification from approved list in area of expertise or leadership certification (must obtain within 2 years of hire date or transfer date).
- American Heart Association-Basic Life Support (BLS), ACLS and PALS
- Master of Science in Nursing or equivalent MBA, MHA, MN
- Chemotherapy/Biotherapy certification preferred
- Shift: Day
- Job Status: Full-time
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.