About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.Position Summary
Manages the Stem Cell Laboratory ensuring that blood products are provided as needed for patient transplantation; ensures compliance with regulatory requirements.
Responsible for managing all activities of the Stem Cell Processing Laboratory. Responsibilities include writing Standard Operating Procedures, reviewing quality control records, participating in clinical research protocols, evaluating staff performance and participating in hiring and termination decisions. The Manager of the Stem Cell Lab will also work in partnership with the Director of Transfusion Medicine and the City of Hope Research Enterprise to set strategy to meet current and future needs of the stem cell laboratory.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Maintain, update and revise the department's SOPs, in partnership with lead(s), as new methods and regulatory requirements are introduced.
- Develops, validates and implements new procedures.
- Reviews logs used for processing blood products. Reviews temperature graphs and quality control results.
- Serves as 24 hour technical on-call resource when scheduled.
- Participates in research protocols related to transfusion medicine and cellular therapies.
- Helps direct and manage research protocols and clinical trials as they pertain to the stem cell laboratory
- Develops, in partnership with Director of Transfusion Medicine, appropriate operating and capital budgets
- Assists in the containment of medical center costs through appropriate ordering reagents and lab supplies and recovery of patient charges.
- Compiles data for monthly reports and departmental quality indicators.
- Works in partnership with Quality and Regulatory personnel both internally and externally to assure compliance of all regulatory requirements
- Writes equipment validation plans; performs validation and staff training.
- Evaluates staff performance.
- Selects staff; orients and trains new hires.
- Performs employee counseling when appropriate. Assists in the hiring and termination decisions.
- Bachelor's degree
- 5-7 years of stem cell lab experience
- 1 year of experience in a leadership capacity
- California CLS license
- In lieu of California CLS license new hire may have MT(ASCP) license and obtain CA CLS license within one year of hire.
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.#LI-AH