About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.Position Summary:
Prepares specimens for analysis; performs and reports waived, moderate, or high complexity clinical laboratory procedures. Performs all procedures in compliance with written SOPs and FACT, AABB, ACHI, CAP, FDA, and Joint Commission regulations. Assists in teaching students and staff. Demonstrates growth in analysis and troubleshooting of testing systems. Works as authorized by the Laboratory Director under Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988, CFR Section 493.1445(a). Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Maintains knowledge of techniques for preparing and processing biological specimens for clinical analyses using universal precautions. Maintains knowledge and proficiency in manual, semi-automated and automated procedures.
- Performs a variety of complex laboratory tests and procedures according to prescribed protocols and assigned schedules. Completes procedures within established turnaround times.
- Reviews normal and critical results for accuracy and completeness before they are reported.
- Notifies supervisor of unusual results or discrepancies.
- Performs quality control procedures including preventive maintenance, calibrations, review of controls, and records data on appropriate forms. Supports and participates in the Quality Assurance efforts and Performance Improvement process.
- Utilizes standard laboratory equipment, and records and checks result for completeness and accuracy. Performs data entry of diagnostic information.
- Prepares and appropriately labels solutions, reagents, culture media, and stains according to standard formulas and procedures.
- Attends staff meetings and required institutional/safety training classes.
- Cross-trains (if applicable) through other sections within division/department. Develops and maintains skills to provide coverage as assigned by the supervisor.
- Prioritizes work and provides prompt and efficient service. Actively assists coworkers as needed. Maintains orderliness and cleanliness.
- Follows safety practices in work areas.
- Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality. Maintains a positive customer service image when dealing with division/department staff, patients, physicians, other City of Hope employees and outside vendors.
- Recognize, troubleshoot, and resolve problems/adverse situations utilizing analytical thinking skills. Guide and assist others in resolution of complex technical problems, recommending actions and evaluating outcomes.
- Participates/maintains compliance with all competency requirements.
- Demonstrate, promote, and assist with quality assurance activities to ensure the highest quality outcomes. Completes and documents quality assurance procedures as assigned.
- Draft new and revised standard laboratory policies and procedures to meet laboratory and regulatory requirements. Validate new/revised SOPs.
- Perform validation protocols for new instrumentation, reagents, and tests. Assist with data entry and preparation of validation reports.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum 2 years as a certified or licensed clinical laboratory scientist
- California Clinical Cytogeneticist Scientist License
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
- Multiple Positions
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.