About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment. A Research Associate II position is available in the laboratory of Leo D. Wang, MD, PhD, at City of Hope, Duarte, CA.
The lab's research in the Department of Immuno-Oncology focuses on how blood and immune cells develop, function, and interact with other cells, with a second focus on how blood stem cells become malignant. We use mass spectrometry to identify activated protein circuits in rare blood stem and progenitor cell populations, including therapeutic chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cells, and use that knowledge to improve and devise new therapies for pediatric cancers and blood disorders.
To learn more about our research, visit www.leowanglab.org or
https://www.cityofhope.org/research/beckman-research-institute/research-departments-and-divisions/immuno-oncology/leo-wang-lab/leo-wang-lab-research Position Summary
Under general supervision of the Principal Investigator, or designee, the Research Associate II (RAII) directs the work of a laboratory or undertakes research projects in collaboration with academic supervisor, making innovative contributions pertaining to laboratory procedures which may not change the course of an investigation but do indicate significant independent contribution beyond the RA I level. RAII typically consults with the academic supervisor on the scope and plan of approach to a research project; reads abstracts and articles; organize and plan techniques; plan and assign the work of at least one lab staff advising on problems they are unable to solve; contribute original ideas to the laboratory research; standardize new techniques and train staff on these techniques; perform specialized procedures and prepare written reports of laboratory experimental methods. Essential Functions:
- Performs a variety of routine and non-routine laboratory research experiments. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- Troubleshoots procedures if experiment results are unexpected or unsatisfactory. Recommends alternative procedures.
- Responsible for accurately recording work performed including results and methodology. Calculates, compiles and analyzes data obtained from work performed.
- Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results by providing input to overall research design. Trains lab staff in specialized procedures, equipment and theoretical concepts behind unique tests.
- May contribute to the preparation of manuscripts by describing methods and specialized techniques. Keeps abreast of new and improved techniques.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor's degree. Masters degree preferred.
- Two years related research/ laboratory experience with a Bachelor's degree, or
- One year related research/ laboratory experience with a Master's degree.
- Ability to delegate when needed.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with other departments.
- Laboratory equipment such as
- Must use PPE as required
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI-
- Posting Date: Aug 9, 2021
- Job Field: Research
- Employee Status: Regular
- Shift: Day Job