The Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking several full-time Postdoctoral Associate(s) for a non-laboratory research position. The selected candidate(s) will have conduct research on NIH and privately funded projects as well as have the opportunity to develop their own research in the area of bioethics and health policy.
Current funded research areas are focused on:
• Ethical, Legal, and Social Implications of Genetics (ELSI) including novel issues in consumer genetics
• Neuroethics and use of biomarker testing for disease
• Ethics and policy issues in the use of emerging technologies in research and clinical care
The Postdoctoral Associate will be part of an interdisciplinary team of researchers led by the Center's research faculty.
In addition to supporting the Center's robust research program, the Postdoctoral Associate(s) will receive mentoring to assist with publishing manuscripts and presenting research at academic conferences. Postdoctoral Associate(s) will also receive an annual stipend to attend professional conferences. Qualified candidates may receive additional mentorship to submit their own external training grant application. They can also participate in professional and academic development sessions hosted by the Center. Such development opportunities include journal clubs, speaker series, career development information sessions, peer mentorship, and programming on grant writing, academic presentations, and goal planning.
The Center cultivates a culture of intentionality, respect, inclusivity, and collaboration. We offer intellectual, social, and professional development opportunities to promote a meaningful work experience. We are reflective and mindful of issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion in both interactions with one another.Job Duties
• Conducts research in bioethics and health policy.
• Conducts comprehensive literature searches in the areas of bioethics, science, social science and health policy literature.
• Leads and assists with publishing research findings as manuscripts in relevant academic journals.
• Presents project findings at local, national and international meetings. Minimum Qualifications
- MD or Ph.D. in Basic Science, Health Science, or a related field.
- Experience Required: None Required.
- Doctoral degree (e.g., PhD, MD, JD) in humanities, law, social sciences, health policy, public health, or related field.
- Strong interest in bioethics, health policy, genomics and/or related issues.
- Track record of publications in scientific and/or medical journals preferred.
- Ability to display a professional, positive attitude with strong interpersonal skills and communication skills required and must be able to work independently and collaboratively to meet deadlines.
- Team oriented, collaborative mindset with an interest in creating value in any situation with insightful questions and suggestions.
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated, efficient, and strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrate a high degree of flexibility in accepting work assignments with the ability to effectively prioritize tasks, understand processes, and resolve issues.
- Interested candidates should upload a CV, cover letter and writing sample.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.