The Ocular Research group within Spark Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to support laboratory efforts towards the development and testing of novel gene therapy products.
• Execute molecular biology and in vitro experiments (e.g., DNA prep, DNA cloning, qPCR, Jess, cell culture)
• Execute tissue preparation for histology and immunohistochemistry staining
• Execute mammalian cell culture and maintaining a cell bank
• Maintain the Ocular plasmid inventory under the direction of senior Ocular team members
• Compile in vivo (fundus, OCT) and histology image summaries
• Participate in sample management activities such as receiving, processing, storage and shipping clinical and preclinical samples.
• Accurately document assay results and analyze data using an electronic lab notebook, technical documents, and other reporting formats.
• Contribute to a collaborative, creative and rigorous culture of scientific discovery
Plan, prepare and perform experiments on the bench to support the Ocular Platform research projects. Assist technical staff in the performance of laboratory experiments as needed.
Analyze results, prepare technical reports, and accurately document work in an electronic lab notebook. Prepare PowerPoint presentations of results as needed. Communicate results and research progress during team meetings as needed.
Participate in group meetings, scientific discussions, and provide support to more junior staff, as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements
• BA/BA in Biological sciences required.
• 0-3 years of laboratory experience.
• Experience in image report generation and analysis.
• Experience in mammalian and bacterial cell culture
• Experience with AAV a plus.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
• Experience in general laboratory techniques such as molecular cloning, qPCR, ELISA, cell culture, immunohistochemistry, western blotting, etc.
• Ability to work independently in a hands-on laboratory setting after initial training, self-motivated to learn and develop new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
• Works with colleagues as a team player.
• Familiarity with Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) and Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) is a plus.
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.