This individual will be responsible for processing animal tissue samples for digital histopathology and maintaining the daily operations in the histology core at Spark Therapeutics. They will be expected to work with scientists, bioimagers and pathologists to create and optimize histological assays. Candidates that have previous experience in grossing and processing ocular and central nervous system tissues from a variety of animal models are preferred.
- All phases of tissue preparation, including fresh or in-process specimens (paraffin and frozen)
- Routine paraffin and cryo embedding and sectioning, H&E (Hematoxylin & Eosin) staining, special stains technique (histochemistry), immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence, and in situ hybridization are required.
- Accountable for examining tissues upon receipt and applying understanding of gross anatomy and study purpose to determine and dissect appropriate representative samples for histology testing and Pathology analysis.
- Specimen preparation that requires a complex and thorough understanding of tissue structure, as well as a basic understanding of chemistry and physics; and how tissues react under process conditions, including decalcification, rehydration, grossing, fixation, embedding, microtomy, routine staining, special stains (histochemistry), and immunohistochemistry.
- Develop and drive histology-based assays (through external and internal collaboration) including immunohistochemistry (IHC), immunofluorescence (IF) and in-situ hybridization (ISH). Capable of troubleshooting and identifying artifacts.
- Able to perform in-house qualitative image analysis across different tissue staining platforms; would be comfortable connecting with bioimagers and data scientists to optimize how the samples are processed for quantitative image analysis.
- Expert-level written summarization of findings (PowerPoint presentation, research reports etc.) and proficient verbal communications to peers, management, and large groups as projects evolve
This individual will also be responsible for maintenance, operation, qualification/validation of histology equipment, as well as training technicians and peers in histological sample handling, histochemical and immunohistochemical technique, imaging and analysis.
- Hands-on Tissue processing, staining and image acquisition
- Develop and validate histology-based biomarker assays
- Participate in study investigations
- Communicate findings and provide presentations
- Review and revise SOPs and/or work instructions
- Maintain equipment and records
- Maintain laboratory safety procedures and compliance records
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Prepare laboratory reagents/materials
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies:
- B.S./M.S. in relevant field with 5+ years pre-clinical histology experience; having HT/HTL (ASCP) certification would be preferred
- Generally has 3-5 years in ocular or CNS fields
- Experience performing and troubleshooting singleplex and multiplex IHC, IF, and/or ISH assays
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a cross-functional team
Complexity and Problem Solving:
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Independently motivated, detail oriented and good problem solving ability.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot experiments.
- Demonstrate independent problem solving skills of technical issues; develop solutions to a variety of moderate to complex problems; Discuss with supervisor and refer to policies/practices for guidance.
- Must be comfortable in the fast-paced, biotech start-up environment and interact with multi-disciplinary research teams at Spark.
- Exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.