About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
A Staff Scientist position is available in Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope. The Staff Scientist series is designed for career research professionals whose primary function is to support the research infrastructure and activities of the institution. Staff Scientists will bring special skills, knowledge and experience to research programs or institutional core laboratories. Individuals appointed as staff scientists will receive a one-year fixed-term contract.
The Staff Scientist will work with a multidisciplinary team on multiple projects with NIH funding. They will be responsible for designing and conducting research experiments and overseeing the day-to-day function of the McCune research laboratory. They will be responsible for conducting flow cytometry experiments to count various T-cell subsets in fresh (within 4 hours of blood draw) blood samples of cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. They will help me build a team and then lead this team to conduct these flow cytometry experiments in patients. They will also be responsible for conducting dose-response studies of various chemotherapy and immunosuppressants on immortalized cell lines and T-cell subsets. Clear and respectful communication with colleagues is essential to ensure sample collection. They will work with data managers, chemists, and computational modeling colleagues. Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Design and lead projects focused on drug concentration-effect relationships in multiple model systems, using pharmacokinetic/dynamic modeling as a conceptual framework.
- Coordinate lab tasks and operations among multiple lab members, including ordering, inventory, and other essential lab functions.
- Keep detailed and accurate logs of experimental design and primary data, analysis, and synthesis.
- Prepare data presentations and manuscripts for publication.
- Initiate and maintain collaborations with other labs.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Ability to be independently productive, meticulous, and efficient.
- Ability to develop cohesive team relationships and manage teams.
- Extensive prior experience in immunology or a closely related field.
- Good English oral and written communication skills; must be able to prepare scientific manuscripts.
- Ability to respond effectively to constructive feedback.
- Programming experience (R, Python), preferred.
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. #LI-
- Posting Date: Sep 30, 2021
- Job Field: Research
- Employee Status: Regular
- Shift: Day Job