The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics has an opening for a full-time Research Associate/Biophysics Core Manager.
A Research Associate position is available at the University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus in the School of Medicine Biophysics Core Facility. The successful applicant will be responsible for the maintenance and operation of a core facility containing a wide range of biophysical equipment. The position involves training, collaborating with, advising, and supervising a range of facility users, including students, faculty, post-docs, and research associates from across the campus and the region. The manager will also be involved in the selection and acquisition of new equipment, coordinating with other facility managers, and developing long-term plans for the facility. Well qualified applicants may also conduct their own independent research project and may be considered for assuming the role of facility Director in the future.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
- The person in this position will report directly to Dr. Jeffrey Kieft (current Biophysics Facility Director and overall Director of the School of Medicine Structural Biology and Biophysics Core Facilities).
- This person will oversee the operation of the Biophysics Core, assisting, training and supervising experiments conducted in the core facility.
Examples of Work Performed (percentage of time)
- Assistance of facility users in instrument operation and experimental planning (40%)
- Performance of experiments for users outside the School of Medicine (30%)
- Administrative tasks (billing, publicity, grant writing) (20%)
- Management and repair of facility equipment (10%)
Salary and Benefits
The salary range (or hiring range) has been established at $65,000 - $75,000
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees prior to their employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please follow this URL for information on disability accommodations: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/human-resources/employee-relations-performance/ada-compliance
Office of Equity: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/equity
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biophysics, or a related field.
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
- 5 Years of experience in an academic or industrial lab setting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience with several of the following biophysical techniques:
- Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR)
- Analytical Ultracentrifugation (AUC)
- Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS)
- Microscale Thermophoresis (MST)
- Isothermal Titration Calorimetry (ITC)
- Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC)
- High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- Circular Dichroism Spectroscopy (CD)
- Fluorescence Spectroscopy
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Organizational and inter-personal skills essential.
- Comfort with basic instrument repair and service. Must be able to diagnose problems with the instrumentation (trouble-shooting).
- The candidate must be highly motivated, and capable of working both independently and collaboratively.
- Eagerness to take the initiative, engage in outreach to potential users, develop scientific strategies; “entrepreneurial.”
- Potentially teach in graduate-level biophysics courses
Special Instructions to Applicants: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References Application
Materials Instructions: Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID:22909
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please be advised that the University does check references as part of the employment process.
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: U0001 -- DENVER & ANSCHUTZ MED CAMPUS - 20085 - SOM-BioChem&Molecular Genetics
The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at:
Exemptions vary by campus location/department.
- Anschutz Campus – Exemptions are allowed for medical or religious reasons.
The University of Colorado Denver seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds