We are seeking a highly motivated structural biologist with strong expertise on X-ray crystallography to join the Structural Biology group at Pfizer-Boulder Research and Development Unit. The primary role of this position is to support our small-molecule drug discovery programs by delivering ligand-protein co-crystal structures through gene-to-structure process. This individual will work closely with scientists from multiple disciplines including enzymology, medicinal chemistry, and computational chemistry. Career path of this position initially focuses on as a bench-side, individual contributor with growth potential into a mentoring /managerial role based on career interest, accumulated experience, and proven performance. The successful candidate must demonstrate a proven track record in solving and interpreting structures of protein/ligand complexes.
Pfizer Boulder Research and Development is focused on the discovery, development, and commercialization of small molecule drugs to treat cancer patients. Based in Colorado, with more than 300 days a year of sunshine, Boulder is a paradise in the West! Visit https://www.bouldercoloradousa.com/
to discover what we love about Boulder. ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Purify recombinant protein suitable for protein crystallography and in vitro assays
- Utilize multiple crystallization formats to grow and optimize diffraction-quality ligand-bound protein co-crystals.
- Collect and process datasets using both in-house X-ray generators and remoted data collection on synchrotrons with optimized collection strategies.
- Solve and refine structures either by Molecular Replacement or de-novo
- Disseminate the results to project teams
- Assist Structural Biology colleagues with challenging protein targets.
- PhD in structural biology or a related field having 5+ years' postdoctoral experience with crystallography in industrial or academic research that leads a proven track record of achievement and publications in reputable, peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated competency in protein expression and purification strategies using bacterial, insect, and/or mammalian hosts.
- Extensive experience in protein X-ray crystallography from crystallization, optimization, data collection and processing, to structure solution.
- Experience with software for model building and refinement such as Phenix, Autoproc, CCP4, Chimera, Rosetta, Coot.
- Experience with crystallization robot and standard analytical techniques associated with assessing protein quality during the purification process.
- Provide regular updates to cross-functional teams to support structure-based compound design in close collaborations with medicinal and computational chemists.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with Linux OS and GPU-accelerated computational environment.
- Experience to use integrated biophysical and structural biology experiments to understand interactions between small molecules and macromolecular target.
- Experience with cryo-EM sample preparation protocols and data collection/processing.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Able to lift 50lb objects with dimensions 12 inches in height and 26 inches in width.
- Able to visualize microscopic objects under microscopes.
OTHER JOB DETAILS
- Able to adhere to safe work practices and perform lab works with appropriate personal protection equipment such as but not limited to safety goggles, facial mask, gloves, lab coat/ protective gowning, and closed toe shoes.
- Able to work at flexible hours occasionally when performing time-sensitive experiments.
Eligible for Relocation Package
Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus For roles based in Colorado:
The annual base salary for this position ranges from $90,500.00 to $150,900.00
. In addition, this position offers an annual bonus with a target of 15.00%
of the base salary and eligibility to participate in our share based long term incentive program. Benefits offered include a retirement savings plan, paid vacation, holiday and personal days, paid caregiver/parental and medical leave, and health benefits to include medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage in accordance with the terms and conditions of the applicable plans. Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development