Commercial Learning & Development Lead
SummaryThe US Commercial Learning and Development Lead provides strategic direction and leadership for the training and development of the US Commercial organization. This role will develop the strategic vision for commercial learning, development and training aligning strategy, business models and operational insights. The Lead will collaborate and align these efforts with Spark’s Talent Development and Organization Effectiveness (TDOE) team. The US Commercial Learning and Development Lead is responsible for the development and delivery of Commercial-focused training. This includes strategic consulting with internal and external stakeholders, role-based curricula development and management, analysis, design, development and delivery of content, support the onboarding of new-hires into the Commercial Organization that focuses on the requirements of US Commercial, the function, role, responsibilities, and continuing education training. This leader is also responsible for measuring training effectiveness and outcomes. The US Commercial Learning and Development Lead collaborates and aligns US Commercial’s learning and development needs with the TDOE team that produces complimentary training and development for the US Commercial team. Incumbent ensures that all learning and development initiatives are aligned with Spark’s values, policies, and business objectives, and are executed in a compliant manner. Ensure US Commercial Learning and Development organization develops best-in-class training that meets the need of the commercial organization while aligning with the corporate frameworks, principles, strategy and philosophy:
- Collaborate with Commercial leadership and functional heads to determine training priorities that support the key capabilities required to enable high-performing teams in the Commercial organization.
- Assess US Commercial technical learning and development needs based on competencies and gaps for the purpose of designing, developing, implementing, and evaluating innovative solutions that unify and build high-performing internal, patient and customer facing teams.
- Ensure all key business objectives are covered by well executed trainings.
- Develop and deliver tools to assist Commercial leadership and functional heads assess training needs for enhancing skill level for members of the Commercial organization.
- Drive comprehensive commercial training strategies to support product launches, actively participate in product launch leadership teams, and establish effective training support product launch needs.
- Represents the learning and development needs of US Commercial to the TDOE team.
- Collaborate with Commercial leadership and functional heads to operationalize training and determine best-in-class commercial training delivery solutions (e.g., instructor led, one-on-one, on-line, self-study) that maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of the training programs:
• Apply adult learning principles to lead, create and implement effective training solutions for the Commercial organization.
• Ensure appropriate training programs for online delivery are available and can be delivered through an easy to use, centralized platform.
• Identify opportunities to enhance blended learning capabilities using technology.
• Create and utilize feedback tools to assess impact of training programs and provide a framework for continuous improvement.
• Establish a process for evaluating the effectiveness of training and employee development activities in alignment with corporate standards and direction.
• Design role-based training curricula for all members of the Commercial organization.
• Develop on-boarding training plan for new-hires into the Commercial organization
• Collaborate with functional sales heads to develop sales and coaching models.
• Manage and facilitate instructor led workshops.
• Manage the submission of training and learning materials to the Commercial Approval Team (“CAT”), Spark’s medical, legal, and regulatory review process and ensures continuous availability of this appropriate material.
• Create a tracking system to document training for the Commercial organization.
Program Management, Vendor Management and Administration:
• Ensure Learning and Development staff’s, to include vendors, agencies and contractors competencies are continuously enhanced through education of disease state(s)training on Spark’s FDA-approvedproduct(s)and associated labeling, and genetic testing initiatives.
• Develop and manage department budget that will support the funding of all US Commercial learning and development initiatives.
• Effectively manage relevant vendor, agency, and consultant relationships to ensure deliverables and work product are in alignment with business strategies and Spark policy.
• Regularly analyze feedback and training effectiveness tools to assess impact of learning and development programs and provide a framework for continuous improvement.
• Apply knowledge of all relevant Spark policies, guidelines, and the FDA US promotional regulatory environment, to learning and development activities and deliverables.
• Develop and maintain positive and collaborative working relationships with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders to ensure achievement of objectives.
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor's degree required; Master's Degree or equivalent in organizational learning and development preferred.
• Generally, 10 years of experience in the Pharmaceutical, Device, or Biotech industry with a minimum of 5 years of Commercial learning and development leadership and people management experience or SparkTherapeutics commercial gene therapy experience.
• Working knowledge of Rare Disease, Gene Therapies and Genetic Diagnostics preferred.
• Experience in the commercialization of gene and cell therapies, preferred.
• Domestic travel required
• Ability to travel overnight (20%)
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
Describe critical skill and abilities needed to successfully perform the job, which should be representative of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Experience in the development of strategies, implementation of training initiatives and management of learning and development teams for a Commercial organization is required.
• Excellent organizational, prioritization, interpersonal, influencing, written/oral communication skills.
• Ability to communicate progress and results clearly and concisely to critical partners in a timely manner and engage and align others with process and drive execution.
• In depth experience working in the US healthcare market with thorough knowledge of US promotional regulatory environment, HUB-related patient services, payor environment, sales and marketing activities.
• Ability to work in ambiguous or new situations by demonstrating a structured approach to problem solving, analyzing alternatives, recommending, and implementing best solutions.
• Proven experience working collaboratively as part of a leadership team, and ability to influence decision making with Commercial business stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically and translate business performance gaps into learning and development initiatives.
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market: Philadelphia
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.