Publications Lead, Medical Communications
This role will lead strategic publications discussions on data analyses and submission of data by collaborating with internal stakeholders and external authors/key opinion leaders to drive timely submissions of publications to congresses (abstracts/presentations) or journals (manuscripts). The role will be responsible for the Publication platform in addition to related Spark publications policy, good publication practices, ICMJE guidelines and health care practitioner interaction policies to ensure publications are developed in a compliant manner. The role will also be responsible to develop and implement quality control measures as needed to ensure accuracy of data to be communicated.
This role will collaborate with other internal stakeholders (R&D, Clinical Development, Corporate Communications) to disseminate publications to support internal awareness and support the overall TA specific Medical Communications strategy in collaboration with the Medical Communication Lead.
- Managing across a matrix organization to drive quality planning and timely communication of key scientific/clinical information for Spark’s assets across specified therapeutic areas
- Establish a clear and viable strategy for the development of Scientific Publication Plans, aligned with overall asset strategic imperatives and objectives, to ensure ethical and transparent disclosure of data from Spark-sponsored clinical trials and another Spark-sponsored research.
- Promote consistent process for publication management activities, including leading publication planning meetings across TAs, and implement feedback into strategy to ensure publication plans are effective and efficient
- Ensure all assigned Spark-sponsored publications are developed according to Spark publication policy and good publication practice, including published guidelines (e.g., GPP3, ICMJE, CONSORT)
- Foster collaborative relationships with academic and clinical experts, publishers, medical associations, and other relevant stakeholder groups to advance awareness of Spark’s leadership in gene therapy in the scientific community
- Lead external initiatives to foster trust and respect of Spark’s leadership in gene therapy amongst academic and medical publishing community
- Liaise with external authors and internal contributors and manage publication specific meetings with medical writers and/or agencies as needed
- Lead the appropriate review and approval of all Spark publications/projects, including abstracts, posters, oral presentations, and manuscripts from Spark-sponsored clinical trials and other Spark-sponsored research
- Review deliverables to ensure publications and presentation meet quality control standards and are balanced in content
- Establish strong working relationships with authors/external experts and with societies and congresses to support congress submissions
- Prepare and manage publication budgets for assigned TAs
Alignment with TA Medical Communications Strategy:
- Collaborate with the Head of Medical Communications, CMO, CSO and other leaders to ensure strategic alignment of Spark’s Publications Plans with overall Medical and Research imperatives
- Work in close collaboration with the Therapeutic Area (TA) Medical Communications Leads to ensure alignment of TA publication plans with other Medical Communications deliverables such as TA specific Scientific Communications Platforms, congress activities, and educational resources
- Oversight of literature searches/alert distribution based on scientific understanding of gene therapy and priorities on selected therapeutic topics/areas
- Establish and drive efforts to build awareness of publications and Medical Communications to support internal strategic business decision-making
Education and Experience Requirements
- Advanced degree (MD/PhD/PharmD) with a minimum of 10 years’ Publications and Scientific Communications experience working within pharmaceutical industry.
- Certification as a Medical Publications Professional (CMPP) strongly preferred.
- Experience in partnering externally with 3rd party publications and scientific communications agencies to ensure the appropriate balance of internal and external execution of work
- Budget development and management.
- Writing/editing experience for scientific/medical journals
- Experience and appreciation for complexity of leading teams through change
- Occasional travel may be required (
- Demonstrated scientific/research expertise to support the establishment of strong working collaborations with both internal and external disease-area experts to ensure quality data analysis, interpretation, communication, and publication planning for data disclosure/dissemination
- Experienced in leading/managing teams to drive strategic publication planning with allocated budget
- Experience in strategic publication planning and execution of publication plans, preferably across therapeutic areas, is required
- Experience in rare disease is strongly preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to take complex information and ideas and present them in a clear and concise way
- Demonstrated ability to establish clear metrics designed to assess meeting customer needs and demonstrating desired outcomes of activities. Regularly communicates metrics with key stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build effective partnerships and work collaboratively with internal/external stakeholders in various functions, at various levels, and with a diversity of style
- Demonstrated understanding of the drug development process from drug discovery to preclinical development to clinical development to regulatory approval, strong scientific acumen and aptitude for compilation, presentation, and review of scientific data
- Ability to understand a broader strategy and align related activities in support of that strategy
- Very proactive, maintaining a forward outlook, ability to plan in advance, and ability to identify appropriate opportunities
- In depth knowledge of current good publication practices and guidelines and medical writing guidelines (e.g., GPP3, ICMJE, CONSORT).
- Proficiency with computer programs such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as databases such as PubMed.
- Commitment to quality and continuous improvement
- Problem solving, negotiation and interpersonal skills, ability to work across many groups and with external key opinion leaders and researchers
- Ability to demonstrate strong leadership, organizational, communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills to manage timelines and deliver high quality of work product
- Ability to identify and drive opportunities to enhance processes, tools, operating procedures to ensure consistent and timely delivery and alignment of standards across scientific publications
- Proven experience in establishing strategic direction for teams/work-streams, and ability to achieve set objectives, ability to take educated risk, rise above technical expertise, demonstrating judgement, wisdom and understanding of impact
- Ability to drive high performing, externally focused work-streams which emphasize teamwork, cooperation, personal accountability, and a commitment to quality; models Spark values and reinforces such behaviors at all levels in the organization
- Demonstrated success in driving optimal business results in a complex corporate environment with multiple priorities and tight timelines
- Ability to critically evaluate literature and interpret clinical data
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.