Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most.What You Will Achieve
The Cancer Immunology Discovery (CID) group in La Jolla, CA is focused on the generation of large molecule immunotherapeutics that promote anti-tumor activity or counter immunosuppression in the tumor microenvironment. Protein engineering efforts are supported by a world-class antibody discovery program, and a commitment to effective biotherapeutic design that stresses both ingenuity and simplicity. We are targeting novel immunological pathways that require efficient, innovative protein engineering approaches with fast design-build-test cycles in order to achieve the desired therapeutic properties.
We are seeking a BS/MS qualified candidate to join us at a Senior Associate Scientist level to contribute to protein engineering activities supporting the design and construction of novel biotherapeutics. The successful candidate will apply molecular biology and protein expression skills for construction and evaluation of next-generation protein therapeutics for immunotherapy.How You Will Achieve It
- Carry out hands-on lab work to apply molecular biology, protein biochemistry and protein engineering techniques to generate and characterize novel protein therapeutics.
- Provide cloning, DNA sequencing, cell culture and protein expression support for multiple projects.
- Plan and conduct experiments to determine binding and stability characteristics of antibodies and proteins.
- Provide general support for experiments, ordering, and laboratory operations as needed.
- Communicate experimental findings accurately and concisely in both oral and written formats.
- BS and 3+ years experience in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or related discipline or MS with relevant experience
- Technical experience should include molecular biology techniques such as DNA purification, cloning, sequencing, PCR, protein expression, purification, and characterization.
- Ability to independently design, plan, and interpret experiments.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, and a desire to work in collaboration.
- Track record of demonstrating analytical acumen, attention to detail, creativity, and unique problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with nucleic acid manipulation techniques: Gibson Assembly, Golden Gate, mutagenic library construction, RNA isolation and cDNA production.
- Technical experience with instruments such as GE AKTA (FPLC), Agilent HPLC, Biacore, Octet.
- Experience with cell culture and conducting antibody binding assays using flow cytometry or ELISA.
- Liquid handler programming and high throughput purification is a plus.
Non-Standard Work Schedule, Travel, Or Environment Requirements
- Must be able to wear specialized protective clothing, wear PPE (safety shoes/glasses/etc).
- Must be able to perform lifting of items (less than 10 lbs)
- The job can require sitting, standing, and walking regularly.
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
- Occasional holiday and overtime may be required.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development