The McGinley lab in the Neuroscience Department at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a to hire a laboratory manager to serve as a managerial member of our cutting-edge and vibrant research lab. Will facilitate our complex and multi-faceted lab running smoothly.
Matthew McGinley Lab (bcm.edu)
McGinley Lab | Cain Labs (texaschildrens.org)
Matthew McGinley | Neuroengineering | Rice University Job Duties
- Serves as supervisor of research technicians and undergraduate assistants, and coordinates with graduate students, postdocs, staff scientists, staff engineers, and other personnel.
- Oversees data management, including pre-processing and pipelining of experimental data, transfer to and organization of data servers, and ongoing pipeline improvement.
- Learns the inner-workings of our high-throughput rodent behavioral training approaches so that best practices can be standardized over long time periods and stably flow into the proper channels.
- Contributes to executing rodent behavior experiments and/or other experiments, such as animal surgeries, based on interest and past experience.
- Oversees animal colony management, including genotyping, microchipping, and record keeping.
- Establishes and maintains protocol documents for behavior, physiology, and data analysis pipelines.
- Oversees general lab functioning and maintenance, including:
- Supports communication between different lab members.
- Becomes familiar with the different lab projects.
- Becomes familiar with animal protocol and assist with amendments.
- Helps coordinate schedules for shared experimental stations.
- Helps order supplies and equipment, including coordinating between lab members and administrative support.
- Maintains the lab meeting schedule.
- Assists with upkeep and replacement of experimental components.
- Keeps up with inspection dates and requirements.
- Helps keep the lab clean and organized.
- Coordinates with contracted web developer to maintain the lab website and lab wiki.
- Liaises between the lab and outside world, including vendors and BCM IT, HR, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or related field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Five years of relevant experience, with prior supervisory experience.
- Experience in high-caliber research settings.
- Experience with animal behavior, animal surgeries, brain physiology, or computation.
- Knowledge of software/hardware relating to behavioral and/or physiological data acquisition and analyses (e.g. Python, Matlab, LabVIEW).
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.