About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment. Position Summary
Under minimal direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee, the Senior Research Associate (SRA) performs a major role in the molecular pathology core for clinical translational research in the areas of genomics, transcriptomics, circulating tumor DNA analysis, circulating tumor cell analysis, minimal residual disease detection and functional studies from clinical specimens. Performs genomic data analysis, new technology development and supports Principal Investigators at City of Hope. Responsibilities Include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Works on various molecular pathology core projects and executes molecular pathology core client projects meeting timelines as assigned, under supervision of the director.
- Develops new genomics, transcriptomics and CTC based protocols that are required for current and future molecular pathology core operations; develop a good understanding of competing technologies and new technical advances to effectively utilize current best practices and devise robust solutions to technical problems
- Responsible for the development and execution of major research projects
- Plans and directs the work of research associates, lab assistants, technicians, and aides.
- Train laboratory research staff in specialized procedures, equipment, and theoretical concepts behind unique tests.
- Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results by providing input to overall research design that maximizes samples or refines the use of specialized techniques.
- Prepares articles and papers on specialized techniques and results of procedures. Keeps abreast of new and improved techniques.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage, and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious, and toxic material.
- Bachelor's degree with 5+ years of experience or a Masters degree with 4+ years of experience
- Advanced experience in molecular techniques such as DNA / RNA sequencing, or Nanostring assay technology, is a plus, although not a requisite.
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
- Posting Date: Sep 20, 2021
- Job Field: Research
- Employee Status: Regular
- Shift: Day Job