About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment, and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment. Position Summary:
A Senior Research Associate position is available at Dr. Yun Rose Li's laboratory at Beckman Research Institute, City of Hope. Dr. Li is a physician scientist in radiation oncology whose research integrates genetic epidemiology, innovative sequencing and bioinformatics technologies, molecular biology tools, and biomarker studies from patients enrolled in clinical trials to better understand the role of oxidative stress in cancer risk and treatment response. The prospective candidates should be highly self-motivated, creative, and capable of working independently and in a team. Strong foundation in molecular biology research, experience in managing and training junior scientists, scientific independence and excellent organizational skills are a must.
Under minimal direction of Dr.Li, the Senior Research Associate (SRA) directs the work of a laboratory including supervision of technical lab staff and is responsible for the development and execution of major research projects and performs state-of-the-art, complex research projects in collaboration with the other researchers, making significant, original contributions to research methods; including authorship or co-authorship of published findings. SRA position has a high degree of autonomy.
SRA typically consults with the PI, or designee, and other professional researchers on the scope, design and objectives of research projects; plans and directs the technical work of research associates, laboratory research assistants, technicians and aides. Reads scientific articles pertaining to research projects/problems, proceeds without specific direction to organize and plan all techniques involved. Plan and directs the work of lab research associates advising them on problems they are unable to solve; contribute original ideas of methodological significance to the laboratory; take responsibility for the execution of laboratory stages of research; standardize new techniques and laboratory staff in their use; perform specialized procedures scientific discipline and prepare written reports of laboratory methods. Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Responsible for the development and execution of major research projects
- Plans and directs the work of research associates, lab assistants, technicians and aides.
- Trains laboratory research staff in specialized procedures, equipment and theoretical concepts behind unique tests.
- Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results by providing input to overall research design that maximizes samples or refines the use of specialized techniques.
- Prepares articles and papers on specialized techniques and results of procedures. Keeps abreast of new and improved techniques.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
- A Bachelor's degree with 5+ years of research/laboratory experience or a Master's degree with 4+ years of research/laboratory experience
- Excellent computer skills
- Experienced in a variety of Molecular Biology and Cell Culture laboratory techniques
- Experience with next generational sequencing, genomics and/or computational projects
- Experience working with mouse models
- For more information on Dr. Li's research please visit yunroseli.org
- The curriculum vitae should include a cover letter including a detailed personal statement describing any prior research experience and describing your interest in this position.
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
- Posting Date: Nov 19, 2021
- Job Field: Clinical Research
- Employee Status: Regular
- Shift: Day Job