Associate Teaching Professor
Associate Teaching Professor
Biology & Biotechnology Department
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The department of Biology and Biotechnology is looking for a faculty member at the Assistant/Associate Teaching Professor level.
The successful candidate will hold a Ph.D. in a biological discipline or a PhD in Science Education with a disciplinary master's in biology. Familiarity with the scholarship of teaching and learning, and a demonstrated interest, ability and participation in evidence-based teaching methods and educational research is sought.
Responsibilities will include program assessment and TA training and mentoring. Engagement in biology education research is strongly encouraged. Teaching responsibilities will include participation in the introductory level laboratory sequence and the introductory sequence for non-majors in Biology and Biotechnology. Undergraduate advising and student project advising may also be possible as appropriate to the candidate's strengths and experience. Other teaching opportunities, including in specific disciplinary areas, are possible.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Train and mentor graduate teaching assistants.
- Participate in curriculum design and delivery
- Help in the development of outcomes assessment processes
- Design and deliver undergraduate laboratory and lecture courses as assigned.
- Directly supervise student laboratory sessions.
- Coordinate with department laboratory manager on availability of laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Contribute to other aspects of the undergraduate program, including advising as appropriate
- PhD degree in a Biological Science or Science Education and 2-3 years of teaching experience
- Demonstrated interest in undergraduate education and understanding of evidence-based teaching
- Experience in the development and assessment of individual and programmatic learning outcomes
- General knowledge of a variety of laboratory procedures and equipment
To apply please submit a CV, teaching philosophy, dossier and names and contact information for three references. Application review will begin on December 15, 2021.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Associate-Teaching-Professor_R0001602
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency