Laboratory Operations Manager
Laboratory Operations Manager – Dr. Zuzana Tothova Laboratory
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
A full-time Laboratory Operations Manager position is available in the laboratory of Zuzana Tothova, MD, Ph.D. at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. We are seeking enthusiastic, self-motivated individuals who thrive in a fast-paced, challenging research environment, and can interact well with others as part of a cohesive team. If you have a desire to make a significant impact in healthcare and have the fortitude to work hard, you will succeed within this team. This is an ideal position for someone who enjoys being in the world of cutting-edge laboratory research. A growth mindset and a willingness to take on challenging learning opportunities will be sought out traits. Ideal candidates will possess strong interpersonal skills along with a desire to help others to succeed.
The laboratory of Zuzana Tothova, MD, PhD is a multi-disciplinary team of physician scientists, scientists and computational biologists at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and the Broad Institute. Our laboratory uses genomics and a range of molecular and cellular biological techniques to elucidate the molecular basis of cancer and hematologic disorders and to develop novel therapeutics. Our specific focus is to understand the role of chromatin modifiers and epigenetic factors and find novel therapeutic opportunities in myeloid malignancies, including myelodysplastic syndromes and acute myeloid leukemia.
- Assists in the supervision and evaluation of the laboratory technicians.
- Oversees general laboratory safety programs with the aid of the laboratory safety officers.
- Responsible for monitoring and coordinating the maintenance and repair of the laboratory equipment.
- Monitors and performs the training of laboratory staff, new employees, new procedures, policies etc.
- Writes and implements laboratory test procedures and policies.
- Assists in ordering supplies from outside vendors for the laboratory.
- Assists the Principal Investigator in budgetary planning.
- Assists Principal Investigator in writing grants, progress reports, and manuscripts.
- Scientific operations
- Ensures proper review of all work and initiates corrective action and documentation when and where necessary.
- Routine handling, restraint, identification (including ear tagging) and sexing of laboratory mice. Ability to distinguish various common laboratory mouse strains in accordance with standardized genetic nomenclature and phenotype identification.
- Ensures all lab staff are compliant with DFCI, NIH and sponsor mandatory trainings.
- Responsible for annual reviews of technical staff performance.
- Assist PI in monitoring, enabling and facilitate collaborations with other programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in a scientific discipline required. PhD is welcome
- Experience in management of large research laboratory (>20 FTEs) in the field of biological sciences, with 3-5 years of research management is required.
- Strong knowledge of HR activities and solid writing skills preferred
- Familiarity with cancer research laboratory operations including equipment maintenance, safety, compliance and record keeping
- Exceptional people management and organization skills, with demonstrated ability to multi-task to enable many concurrent projects in a complex, fast paced environment.
- Excellent quantitative, analytic, and problem solving skills to evaluate all aspects of a problem opportunity and make or facilitate appropriate and timely decisions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability and willingness to work closely with other colleagues as a team; experience and comfort in working with individuals with diverse backgrounds and differing viewpoints; openness to new ideas.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- High degree of computer literacy. Requires a working knowledge of basic computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, and other related software.
- Sound analytical and organizational skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to logically and effectively structure tasks and set priorities.
- Ability to identify potential problems and troubleshoot solutions.
- Strong leadership skills and effective team player.
We are looking for candidates with at least 2 years of availability.
For more information and to apply, please visit: https://careers.dana-farber.org/lab_operations_manager_
About Dana Farber:
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is a leader in life changing breakthroughs in cancer research and patient care. We are united in our mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. We strive to create an inclusive, diverse, and equitable environment where we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all backgrounds, and design programs to promote public health particularly among high-risk and underserved populations. We conduct groundbreaking research that advances treatment, we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers, and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
At Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, we work every day to create an innovative, caring, and inclusive environment where every patient, family, and staff member feels they belong. As relentless as we are in our mission to reduce the burden of cancer for all, we are equally committed to diversifying our faculty and staff. Cancer knows no boundaries and when it comes to hiring the most dedicated and diverse professionals, neither do we. If working in this kind of organization inspires you, we encourage you to apply.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.