Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys, Infectious and Inflammatory Diseases Center is awarding two Postdoctoral Fellowships funded by a philanthropic gift from the Perkins Foundation.
This training program is designed to maximize high-impact interdisciplinary training in fundamental and translational immunology. The Perkins Fellows will develop projects investigating networks controlling innate and adaptive immune responses using targeted and systems level screening methods applied DNA and RNA viruses, including coronavirus. Fellows will have the opportunity to participate in targeted drug development projects for treating infectious and autoimmune diseases, and cancer.
Inflammatory disease and cancer models in vivo are used to design new bioceuticals to determine mechanism of drug action, which involve ongoing partnerships with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. The Fellows will be involved in collaborations with SBP faculty members in the Immunity and Pathogenesis Program and NCI-designated Cancer Center. SBP faculty participating in the Perkins Fellowship are Dr. Carl Ware and Dr. Linda Bradley.
In addition to scientific training, Fellows will participate in several professional development programs to gain skills in leadership and management, as well as an understanding of the vast array of career paths in available to them following their training.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should apply online to the Sanford Burnham Prebys career site by submitting one PDF document with a cover letter, CV, names of three references from faculty mentors, and a list of any publications or accomplishments.
Additional considerations for personal and research statements:
- Describe previous training in molecular, cellular biology and bioinformatics relevant to immune function, and/or infectious and inflammatory disease models in mice and ex vivo in humans.
- Comment on your personal commitment to pursuing a career in immunology and drug development
- Independently design and perform experiments and procedures with high degree of complexity, demonstrating increasing expertise with a wide range of techniques
- Demonstrate flexibility in adapting methods and skills according to evolving project priorities
- Provide independent experimental design and planning
- Be able to analyze and interpret data from different sources and draw relevant conclusions
- Demonstrate knowledge in relevant specialized disciplines
- Be able to present results at internal and external meetings
- Accurately document experiments
- Contribute to writing of reports and manuscripts with increasing responsibility over time
- Work collaboratively across lab functions and train other junior lab staff as needed
- PhD, MD, or MD/PhD degree (MDs must be committed to training in immunology research without clinical responsibilities)
Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities:
- The ability to work independently and to handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interactive and collaborative team
- Excellent presentation, verbal, and written communication skills
- Possess strong attention to detail, analytical, time management, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Embody the Institute's core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email email@example.com. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.