Sanford Burnham Prebys is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health.
Our research programs group scientists working in key areas of biology to foster collaborations that will pave the way to improving human health.
The Terskikh laboratory has pioneered novel approaches to quantitate biological age at single cell level based on the imaging of epigenetic landscape. In contrast to conventional DNA methylation-based clocks, these new approaches termed microscopic imaging of biological age (miBioAge) and variance of chromatin and landscape (VITA) enable us for the first time to systematically quantitate the aging process on single cell level in all organs and tissues and test thousands of compounds to identify hits that could be turned into drugs which will slow down or revert aging.
The laboratory thrives on the crossroads of several interrelated fields and techniques embracing a wide range of collaborations with leading researchers in the outstanding scientific environment of San Diego (Salk, Scripps, UCSD) and across the world. See laboratory web site for more information: http://labs.sbpdiscovery.org/centerandlabs/neuroagingstem/terskikhlab/Pages/Research.aspx
The specific project(s) will be discussed with the candidate, but possible directions include: 1) How the aging process varies in different organs and cell types? To develop focused pipelines for quantitating biological age in different tissues at single cell level. 2) To investigate and quantitate the heterogeneity of aging process in different organs and tissues at single cell level. 3) To identify small molecules slowing down or reversing aging in various human tissues and organs using high throughput screening assays. 4) To develop a novel class of flavivirus replication inhibitors based on novel targeting strategy. Such small molecules are poised to make a major impact on global health; 5) Untangling self-renewal vs disposable stem cells models of adult neurogenesis using lineage barcoding (e.g. PolyloxExpress reporter mice). To understand the implications for human adult neurogenesis.
The project can employ state-of-the-art molecular and cellular biology approaches, including RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, Cut&Tag-seq, MIEL-BioAge, spatial “-omics” at the single cell level, high throughput chemical and RNAi/CRISPR phenotypic screens, state-of-the-art gene manipulations using RNAi and CRISPR technology. We routinely employ sophisticated mouse models as well as human cell and tissue models.
- Conduct tissue culture and animal (mice) experiments as required by the project design.
- Use cellular and animal models to discover networks and pathways and to generate functional predictions and testable hypotheses.
- Take advantage of confocal and automated microscopy to acquire large image collections and employ machine learning and custom-built pipelines to analyze the dataset.
- Independently design and performs experiments and procedures with high degree of complexity, demonstrating increasing expertise with a wide range of techniques.
- Write reports, manuscripts, and grant applications with increasing responsibility over time.
- Candidates should have a recent PhD in Biological sciences or equivalent
- Dual expertise in cell biology & computation is a huge plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Qualified candidates should be proficient in molecular and cellular biology, fluorescent microscopy, and gene expression / data analyses.
- Expertise in machine learning and familiarity with programming and code environment (Python, R, C, Jupiter notebooks) is highly desirable.
- Successful candidates should have a demonstrated ability for independent and critical thinking, excellent communication and teamwork skills, and strong publication record.
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click HERE.
If you need an accommodation seeking employment with Sanford Burnham Prebys, please email email@example.com. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis.