IMSE Department Chair
IMSE Department Chair
The Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering (IMSE) in the College of Engineering at Iowa State University invites applications for the C.G. “Turk” & Joyce A. Therkildsen Department Chair position. The endowed chair will be responsible for the scope and effectiveness of teaching, research, and outreach efforts of the IMSE department.
Candidates are expected to have an exemplary achievement record in research, teaching, and service. They will have demonstrated a commitment to achieving excellence through diversity and inclusion, a proven professional leadership record, strong communication and team-building skills, and the ability to lead others by creating and facilitating a collegial environment. They must be committed to the department’s outreach activities and interactions with external stakeholders and motivate others in a shared vision. An appreciation for university-industry collaborations, technology transfer and intellectual property management will be treated as an asset. We are seeking a dynamic and innovative leader with a bold vision for the future of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering.
The College of Engineering is committed to sustaining a collegial, positive, and productive environment for each individual and for the collective benefit of all. All faculty members are expected to exhibit and convey good citizenship within department, college, and university activities, interact collegially and maintain the highest integrity and ethical behavior standards.
Required Education and Experience
- Ph.D., or equivalent qualifications, in industrial engineering or closely related field
- Exemplary record of achievement in research, teaching and service in a university, national laboratory, or industry at a level sufficient to qualify for appointment as a tenured Full Professor
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience directing interdisciplinary programs in education and research
- Budget and personnel management experience
- Experience in fundraising, donor cultivation, and stewardship
- Evidence of achieving excellence through diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated ability to lead others to execute a shared vision
The IMSE Department offers B.S., M.S., M.Eng., and Ph.D. programs in industrial engineering and M.Eng. in systems engineering and engineering management. The undergraduate program was 15th, and the industrial engineering graduate program was 20th (15th among public universities) in the most recent U.S. News & World Report rankings. It has more than 16,000 square feet of research and teaching laboratory space with enviable student hands-on laboratory experiences.
IMSE maintains externally funded research expenditures of over $5 million annually and demonstrates a commitment to diversity among faculty, staff, and students who enrich university objectives in research, teaching, and service. Its external reputation has led to a $42 million gift commitment by C.G. “Turk” and Joyce A. McEwen Therkildsen for a new IMSE facility. The new building will increase our ability to develop industrial engineering students that design tomorrow’s innovative, agile, and intelligent processes. It will further support faculty research and pedagogical efforts.
Application review will begin December 17, 2021, and reviewing will continue until the position is filled. All interested, qualified persons must apply for this position online at https://www.jobs.iastate.edu/ to Job Requisition Number R6702.
The following documents are required to be submitted in PDF format:
- A cover letter briefly discussing how the candidate meets each of the preferred qualifications. Please consider including a brief statement describing the COVID-19 pandemic impact upon your work conditions and productivity
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for at least three references (name, mailing address, email address, phone number, and other pertinent information)
- Other documents (submitted as one PDF):
- Up to three-page statement that includes leadership efforts and outcomes, leadership philosophy, and a brief vision of the discipline’s future
- Research statement (limited to two pages)
- Teaching statement (limited to two pages)
- Diversity statement (limited to two pages). The diversity statement could include experiences associated with advocacy, support, and study of individuals and societal issues outside the candidate’s background
The search committee will review applications and use preliminary virtual interviews. Candidate finalists will be invited to campus for a mix of face-to-face and virtual meetings.
If you have questions regarding this application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Direct questions about the position to the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Chris Cornelius, firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-294-1937.
About Iowa State
Iowa State University is classified as a Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University-Extensive, a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), and ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top public universities in the nation. More than 30,000 students are enrolled and are served by over 6,200 faculty and staff. Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University’s Principles of Community.
About the College
The Iowa State University College of Engineering is a prestigious program inspiring future leaders, pursuing groundbreaking research, transforming technology to make a difference, promoting diversity of thought and culture and creating solutions to make the world a better place. Engineering is the largest college on campus with almost 8,000 students; 500 faculty and staff; 14 undergraduate majors; 20 doctoral and 25 master degree programs offered as departmental or interdepartmental programs; multiple research centers; and 12 buildings that comprise the engineering complex, including our new Student Innovation Center.
Iowa State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. veteran. Inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies may be directed to Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, Ames, Iowa 50011, Tel. 515 294-7612, Hotline: 515-294-1222, email email@example.com.