Scientist at CMS
For our location in Hamburg we are seeking:
Scientist at CMS
Unlimited | Starting date: 01.03.2022 | ID: FHMA036/2021 | Deadline: 19.12.2021 | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with its more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world's leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The DESY CMS group will expand its efforts for searches for new physics in the top quark sector. To strengthen this effort, successful candidates will work at DESY in collaboration with Prof. F. Blekman. Once top quarks are isolated, searching for new particles will still require innovative machine learning techniques to be sensitive also to the most interesting new physics scenarios. The techniques developed in this effort are expected to also be beneficial to other research projects in the CMS collaboration, and potentially broader in collider physics.
The successful candidate is expected to take a leading role in the CMS program, including upgrades for the high-luminosity LHC, and to be instrumental to the preparation for future colliders.
About your role:
- Analysis efforts focussing on the search for new phenomena in the top quark sector
- Contribution to studies of future colliders with preferably a focus on Higgs factories
- Involvement in the successful installation and commissioning of the CMS Phase 2 upgrades of the Silicon Trackers and/or the High Granularity Calorimeter
- Participation in the supervision of interns and students
- Science communication or a choice of other efforts that improve the diversity in particle physics
- PhD in physics or a physics-related discipline
- At least three years of experience performing experimental particle physics research, preferably in a collider context
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent research including leadership
- Experience in multiple aspects of particle physics research beyond physics analysis, for example, detector operations or development, instrumentation, algorithmic development or proven detailed experience with simulation tools
- Good communication skills and the potential for leadership within the field of particle physics
- Excellent research output on either measurements using top quarks or with the development of searches for new physics
- Experience with the development of new reconstruction algorithms and with machine learning
- Experience with student supervision and/or career-level consistent teaching experience
- Affinity with science communication
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH.
For further information please contact Prof. Dr. Freya Blekman at +49 40 8998-3518 (email@example.com).
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal.
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position.
Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392