Senior Research Software Engineer, Proteomics
Join a Team that Lives to Improve Lives People come to Genentech from across disciplines and across the world to solve our most challenging medical conditions. You’ll find inspiration in our passion for biotechnology, our purpose to positively impact the lives of millions of patients and our dedication to our people. Joining Genentech means being part of a tradition of inquiry that will change the world. It means embracing our failures as much as our successes. It requires a willingness to look beyond the edge of what's possible. And a focus on doing the day-to-day work that makes great science happen.
The following opportunity exists in South San Francisco, CA:
Senior Research Software Engineer, Proteomics
The Microchemistry, Proteomics, Lipidomic (MPL) and Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) Department is seeking an experienced Scientific Programmer with a strong background in software engineering to join our Computational Proteomics group. The new hire will work closely with wet and dry scientists to develop, integrate, and maintain our cutting-edge algorithms, tools and data platforms for the computational analysis of proteomic data essential to Genentech’s drug discovery efforts. As is true across Genentech, research in MPL is fast paced and highly collaborative, drawing on the expertise of some of the world's leading experts in biochemistry, technology, computational biology and disease.
Advances in mass spectrometry proteomics and associated areas have revolutionized the study of cellular proteins and motivated in depth molecular characterization of normal human physiology and disease biology. The MPL group is a world leader in the application of technologies to elucidate new models of the molecular mechanisms of disease and the development of novel therapeutics. The successful candidate will lead efforts to shape and transform the technological backbone in place within the Computational Proteomics group to embrace new analytical techniques, statistical methods, and algorithms critical to the analysis of high dimensional data in the rapidly evolving area of proteomics. They will do so by orchestrating the development and implementation of the data platforms necessary to manage this data at scale, including support for novel data types and the production of self-service analytical tools with an audience of proteomics experts, machine learning scientists, and biologists.
Who You Are
• We are looking for a computational leader with rich, demonstrated experience in developing and maintaining large-scale software applications to address complex biological problems.
• This position requires a PhD in the computer sciences, Bioinformatics, or a scientific field of study such as Biology, Chemistry, or Biochemistry. Exceptional candidates without an advanced degree but with a demonstrated history of equivalent relevant experience are encouraged to apply.
• A working knowledge of both Python and R, with a mastery of either or both languages, is required.
• A high priority will be placed on demonstrated experience with containerization and architecture of systems to enable scientific workflows, as well as management of large volumes of scientific data and metadata using technologies such as object storage and orchestration of distributed systems within a cloud architecture (AWS).
• Familiarity with modern software engineering best practices, including CI/CD, is a must.
• The successful candidate must have the ability to make project decisions independently; prior experience leading software development teams (e.g. as lead architect) is strongly preferred.
• Experience with data generated from analytical instrumentation such as mass spectrometers and/or prior proteomics experience is highly desired.
• Experience in and knowledge of semantic web concepts, including ontologies and data modeling, is a plus.
• Strong communication & interpersonal skills are essential for success in this collaborative role.
Who We Are?
Genentech, a member of the Roche group and founder of the biotechnology industry, is dedicated to pursuing groundbreaking science to discover and develop medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. To solve the world's most complex health challenges, we ask bigger questions that challenge our industry and the boundaries of science to transform society. Our transformational discoveries include the first targeted antibody for cancer and the first medicine for primary progressive multiple sclerosis.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) are critical to the success of our company and our impact on society. We believe that by championing diversity of background, thought and experience, we can foster a sense of belonging and provide an environment where every employee feels valued, included, and able to contribute their best for the patients we serve. We’re focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviors into every aspect of our work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the "Apply for this job" button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page. If you are in need of an accommodation due to a disability to assist with submitting your application or at any point during the hiring process, please email US.email@example.com.