Office of Blood Research and Review (OBRR)
Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER)
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
The FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER), Office of Blood Research and Review (OBRR) is recruiting to fill a Senior Staff Fellow/Visiting Scientist position to serve as a Principal Investigator in the Laboratory of Pathogen Reduction Research (LPRR).
This is a Principal Investigator opportunity in pathogen reduction of blood and blood components.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The successful candidate will lead laboratory research efforts to develop and evaluate novel pathogen reduction technologies to support and facilitate the safety of the nation’s blood supply. The candidate will have opportunities to contribute to FDA policy and guidance development activities related to blood and blood component safety and to participate in the review of regulatory filings for blood and blood products regulated by OBRR. The selected candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Establishing and maintaining a laboratory research program focusing on novel mechanistic approaches to pathogen reduction in blood and blood components.
- Developing new methods and technologies for inactivation of pathogens, including emerging infectious diseases, that can be transmitted by transfusion.
- Using new and established models to examine transfusion transmission of infectious diseases and optimize pathogen reduction approaches.
- Communicating results and their interpretation to a diverse audience, including FDA scientists, collaborators, and external stakeholders.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: This position is multidisciplinary, and applicants will be required to meet one of the following occupational series below.
General Natural Resources Management and Biological Sciences (RG-0401): Degree in Biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position. – OR – Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Microbiology (RG-0403): Degree in Microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that include at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent. – OR – Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: Ph.D. in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, Medical Science, Biological Science, or equivalent doctoral degree (M.D., D.V.M., or Sc.D. etc.) is required. Candidates must have strong collaborative skills, excellent written and oral communication skills, and a clear evidence of leadership potential. Also, knowledge of federal regulations applicable to in vitro diagnostics and biological products is helpful but not required for consideration.
PREFERRED SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated research experience in microbiology and infectious diseases relevant to transfusion transmitted infections.
- Experience in studying pathogenesis of transfusion transmitted infections.
- Experience in techniques quantifying infectivity and neutralization or inactivation of infectious agents (e.g. viruses, bacteria, and parasites).
- Experience with current biochemistry and molecular biology techniques and analytical tools
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit the U.S. Department of Education website for Foreign Education Evaluation.
SALARY: Salary is commensurate with education and experience, including an excellent benefits package
LOCATION: FDA White Oak Campus in Silver Spring, MD
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position will be filled through the Service Fellowship program, with an initial appointment period followed by opportunities for renewal. Applications will be accepted from all groups of qualified candidates, including U.S. citizens or non-U.S. Citizens holding valid immigration status and work authorization at the FDA. No previous Federal experience is required. Appointment does not confer any entitlement to a position in the competitive service, and during the initial appointment there is no entitlement to Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB) appeals rights.
- One-year probationary period may be required.
- Official Transcripts are required.
- Background and/or Security investigation required.
- If applicant is an U.S. Citizen, males born on, or after, December 31st, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service System or have an approved exemption. Visit www.SSS.gov for more info.
- Prohibited financial interest restrictions may apply. For additional information on the prohibited financial interests, please visit the FDA Ethics and Integrity Office website at http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/WorkingatFDA/Ethics/default.htm.
- This position is subject to Executive Order 14043, mandating covid-19 vaccination for federal employees.
- Non-US and permanent residents are required to have resided in the United States for a minimum of three of the last five years.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit electronic resume or curriculum vitae with a cover letter containing a brief summary of career interest and scientific accomplishments, a statement of how your education and experience would be applicable to this position, and the names/contact information of three references to CBER Recruitment at CBER.Employment@fda.hhs.gov. Applications and all supporting documentation will be accepted through January 8, 2022. Please reference Job Code: OBRR-22-05-SCI.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: For additional information on CBER Careers, please visit:
- CBER Careers
- Scientific Careers at the FDA