The Research Associate is a member of the Discovery Research Group within the Translational Research Department and will support laboratory research activities towards the development and testing of novel gene therapy products. He/she will be responsible for:
• Routinely formulate and characterize nanoparticle-based formulations (e.g. liposomes, lipid nanoparticles) at varying scales.
• Optimize existing formulation methods and analytical techniques and generate standard operating procedures (SOPs) and test method documents
• Conduct experiments, independently and in collaboration with colleagues in support of project goals
• Analysis and accurate documentation of assay results in an electronic lab notebook, technical documents, and other reporting formats.
Describe the essential daily job functions and include % of time spent on each.
Job Function and Description
Plan, prepare, and perform experiments on the bench to support Discovery Research Group projects. Assist technical staff in the performance of laboratory experiments as needed.
Prepare sample analysis reports and accurately document work in electronic lab notebook
Participate in group meetings and scientific discussions/troubleshooting.
Education and Experience Requirements
Include educational requirements or equivalency, required years and type(s) or experience, and necessary licenses or certificates.
• BA/BS in chemistry, engineering, pharmaceutical sciences, or biological sciences required. Master’s degree preferred
• Generally has 3-5 years of relevant experience
• Familiarity with various analytical methods including, but not limited to HPLC, DLS, zeta potential, and encapsulation efficiency
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
• Experience in general and advanced nanoparticle formulation techniques
• Experience with different characterization methods such as HPLC, DLS, zeta potential, and encapsulation efficiency
• Proven ability to work independently in hands-on laboratory setting, self-motivated to learn and develop new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
• Familiarity of Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) and Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) a plus.
• Familiar with computer software commonly used in bio/pharma industries.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
• Works with colleagues as a team player.
Complexity and Problem Solving
• Demonstrate independent problem solving skills of technical issues; develop solutions to a variety of moderate to complex problems; Discuss with supervisor and refer to policies/practices for guidance.
• Ability to work independently after initial training as well as being part of a team
• Self-motivated, flexible, and willing to adapt to meet team goals.
• Keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
• Must be comfortable in the fast-paced, biotech start-up environment and interact with multi-disciplinary research teams at Spark.
• Exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.