Professorship for "Robust Quantum Systems"
With nearly 18,500 students and 3,700 staff members, Technische Universität Braunschweig is the largest Institute of Technology in Northern Germany. It stands for a strategic and achievement-oriented way of thinking and acting, relevant research, exceptional teaching and the successful transfer of knowledge and technologies to industry and society. We consistently advocate family friendliness and equal opportunities.
We focus our research on mobility, infections and therapeutics, metrology, and future city. Our core disciplines include a comprehensive engineering branch and a strong natural sciences branch, closely linked with business sciences, social sciences, humanities and educational sciences.
Our campus is located at the heart of one of Europe’s most active research regions. We cooperate closely and successfully with more than 20 research institutions right on our doorstep and maintain strong relationships with our partner universities all over the world.
Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Physics
Institute of Applied Physics
We offer a
Professorship for "Robust Quantum Systems"
The appointment is planned for the next time possible.
The person to be appointed competently represents the subject area of experimental physics "Robust Quantum Systems".
The research focus is in the area of solid-state-based quantum physics or quantum technology. Possible thematic orientations can be in the area of hybrid structures as well as effectively two-dimensional materials with extraordinary electronic properties, which can serve as robust quantum systems with coupling to the environment for manipulation, detection and transfer of quantum states. We envision a thematic and methodological expansion of the research portfolio already established in Braunschweig in experimental and theoretical solid-state physics.
In addition to scientific excellence, an important criterion will be the fit with the activities in the Cluster of Excellence QuantumFrontiers.
The Physikalisch Technische Bundesanstalt is represented as a cooperation partner in the research center Laboratory for Emerging Nanometrology (LENA) and Cluster of Excellence.
In teaching, the professorship has to represent experimental physics in its full breadth.
- Proven (preferably also international) research and teaching experience in the above-mentioned field
- Excellent international publication record
- Proven experience and willingness to apply for third-party funding
- Proven experience in and willingness to engage in international collaborations
- Experience in research directions that match the call
- Active participation in the research focus areas of the TU Braunschweig (here in particular in the research focus area "Metrology")
- Active Participation in the Cluster of Excellence QuantumFrontiers and active collaboration in the research centre Laboratory for Emerging Nanometrology (LENA)
- Potential for integrating research into the Quantum Computing Initiative of the State of Lower Saxony "Quantum Valley Lower Saxony" (QVLS)
- Ability and willingness to take on German and English language courses
- Willingness to participate in the self-administration of the university
- Willingness to participate in the internationalisation of the university
Requirements, § 25 NHG
- Completed university studies
- Pedagogical suitability proven by results of course evaluation
- Special qualification for deepened independent scientific work, which is usually demonstrated by an above-average doctorate and
- Habilitation or habilitation equivalent qualifications
At TU Braunschweig, we aim to increase the share of women in academic positions and therefore particularly welcome applications from women. Where candidates have equivalent qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates. A part-time appointment may be possible on request. Where candidates have the same qualifications, preference will be given to disabled candidates.
Applications from international scientists are welcome.
It is a permanent full-time position. A part-time appointment may be possible on request. Applicants who are 50 years or older at the time the appointment commences and who have not acquired permanent civil servant status (Beamtenverhältnis auf Lebenszeit) will be employed with employee status (Angestelltenverhältnis).
Deadline for application
The application deadline is 2021-12-31.
Questions about the professorship will be answered by
If you have any questions regarding personnel law matters, please contact
We are looking forward to your application!
Applicants (m/f/o) are requested to attach the usual documents:
- Cover letter
- Academic background (curriculum vitae)
- Academic certificates and diplomas (degrees)
- Research and teaching concept
- List of publications, including copies of 3 selected publications
- List of third-party funds and description of own participation
- List of courses, including results of course evaluation
- If necessary, add proof of parental/care leave or disability.