The Department of Biomedical Sciences and the Charles E. Kubly Mental Health Research Center at Marquette University seeks an inaugural Director for a Neuroscience Collaboratory.
The vision for the Collaboratory is to improve the productivity, impact, and efficiency of the neuroscience research being conducted in our department. The Collaboratory will do this by completing large research projects that span multiple programs, acquiring/optimizing new techniques that extend the capabilities of our neuroscience programs, and assisting with regulatory compliance, training of lab staff, and other aspects of the scientific workflow that are more efficiently done centrally rather than in each individual lab.
The Collaboratory will be generously resourced with permanent funds to ensure long-term sustainability. Resources include a faculty position with full salary and benefit support for the director, endowed funds for operational costs and technical staff salary, and existing equipment needed to complete collaborative neuroscience projects.
The responsibilities of the director will include team recruitment and management, assay optimization, data collection, record keeping and documentation including generating project reports, assisting with regulatory compliance and finance management, supporting manuscript and grant submissions, and providing in-depth technical training for departmental graduate students.
- PhD in Neuroscience or related field
- Post-graduate experience
- Experience managing a team of researchers
- Excellent communication skills that include proficiency in manuscript/grant writing
- Experience managing collaborative projects among multiple laboratories
- Strong grantsmanship skills
- Experience managing direct research budgets
- Exceptional technical skills in multiple relevant assays. Examples include confocal or two-photon microscopy, cell culture, HPLC, FACS, immunohistochemistry, qPCR, western blotting, fiber photometry, slice recording, and/or rodent behavioral assays.
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly learn new techniques
- Experience teaching and mentoring students and technical staff
- Experience conducting research in the private sector
Marquette University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to fostering a diverse community that ensures equal compensation and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, age, sex, gender identity/expression, or sexual orientation.
Milwaukee is a vibrant community located on Lake Michigan. It has recently been recognized as one of the best places to live by U.S. News and others. Milwaukee’s high ranking is due to its affordability, quality of life, and access to urban amenities without the challenges typical of many large cities.
To learn more about the team or the opportunity, please visit https://www.mubiomedicalsciences.com/collaboratory-bisc or contact Dr. David Baker, Chair of Biomedical Sciences at firstname.lastname@example.org