The Department of Biological Sciences and the Museum of Natural Science at Louisiana State University invite applications for a tenure-track faculty/curator position. The Department and Museum together house 60+ faculty spanning a range of disciplines, but with particular strengths in evolutionary biology, systematics, and ecology. We seek a biologist with a strong collections-based field program and expertise in the genetics of any group of vertebrates. Desirable disciplines include phylogenetics, comparative genomics, population genetics, molecular evolution, and related fields. The successful candidate will curate the Collection of Genetic Resources, one of the world’s largest and most-used vertebrate tissue collections. We seek a curator who will manage its existing resources while also fostering its growth through traditional and innovative approaches. We are dedicated to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty, and we strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and members of other groups underrepresented in science. We seek candidates whose research, teaching, curation, or service has prepared them to contribute to diversity and inclusion in higher education.
- 50% Develop and maintain an independent and extramurally funded research program ranging across all levels of biological organization.
- 25% Teach undergraduate and/or graduate-level courses in a biological sciences discipline, and direct/supervise graduate students. Participate in service activities pertaining to the mission of the Department, and the advancement of the profession.
- 25% Curate the Collection of Genetic Resources, including managing its use, maintenance, and growth.
- PhD in Biological Sciences or related field
- Successful track record of productive research and publication, and postdoctoral experience
- Strong background in building, managing, and using genetic resource collections is preferred
- Curriculum Vitae
- Separate statements for research, teaching, and curation.
- Three representative publications
- Three references who can provide letters of recommendation at a future date
- Applicants should address their experience, expertise and plans for improving Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the context of one or more of their teaching, research, or curation statements.
A copy of your transcript(s) may be attached to your application (if available). However, original transcripts are required prior to hire.
Additional Position Information:
- Background Check - An offer of employment is contingent on a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
- Benefits - LSU offers outstanding benefits to eligible employees and their dependents including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement options; various leave options; paid holidays; wellness benefits; tuition exemption for qualified positions; training and development opportunities; employee discounts; and more!
LSU is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
LSU believes diversity, equity, and inclusion enrich the educational experience of our students, faculty, and staff, and are necessary to prepare all people to thrive personally and professionally in a global society. We celebrate diversity and are committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion. We actively seek and encourage qualified applications from persons with diverse backgrounds, cultures and experiences. To learn more about how LSU is committed to diversity and inclusivity, please see LSU’s Diversity Statement and Roadmap. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact the Office of Human Resource Management (firstname.lastname@example.org).
COVID-19 Vaccine Protocol:
LSU requires the COVID-19 vaccine for all students, faculty, and staff or mandatory monthly testing. New employees must either submit proof of vaccination within three (3) days of their official start date, otherwise they will be entered into the mandatory monthly testing protocol beginning in November 2021.