The Research Scientist is a member of the Discovery Research Group within the Research Department and will support laboratory research activities towards development and testing of novel gene therapy products. He/she will be responsible for:
- Developing strategies to optimize safety and efficacy of novel non-viral gene therapy approaches.
- Synthesize, characterize, and evaluate novel non-viral formulations for nucleic acid delivery
- Design and support in vivo studies to assess the safety and efficacy of novel gene therapy candidates.
- Assist with the development and implementation of new assays (e.g. cell-based, enzymatic, immunoassays, etc.) or optimization of existing assays based on in-depth knowledge of laboratory techniques.
- Assist with assays across the different discovery programs (e.g. ELISA, cell culture, MSD multiplex assay, qPCR, western blot, in vitro assay, etc.).
- Analysis and accurate documentation of assay results in an electronic lab notebook, technical documents and other reporting formats.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Develop and implement novel strategies to improve non-viral delivery platform, prepare and perform experiments on the bench to support of Discovery Research Group projects. Engage in extensive literature
- Prepare sample analysis reports and accurately document work in electronic lab notebook
- Participate in group meetings and scientific discussions/troubleshooting.
- Ph.D. in chemistry, nanomedicine, engineering or related fields. Familiarity with gene therapy and/or biomaterials is a plus.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Experience with studies utilizing laboratory animal models.
- Strong understanding of the technical and equipment needs in a lab as well as significant hands-on experience with standard molecular and cell biology techniques such as ELISA, qPCR, cell culture, transfection, western blotting, etc.
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Proven ability to work independently in hands-on laboratory setting, self-motivated to learn and develop new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
- Highly adaptable and comfortable in environments with dynamic priority demands.
- Experience in general and advanced lab techniques such as qPCR, ELISA, cell culture, plate-based luciferase and/or enzymatic activity assays, SDS-PAGE/western blotting, etc.
- Familiarity of Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) and Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) a plus.
- Familiar with computer software commonly used in bio/pharma industries.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
- Works with colleagues as a team player.
- Demonstrate independent problem solving skills of technical issues; develop solutions to a variety of moderate to complex problems; Discuss with supervisor and refer to policies/practices for guidance.
- Ability to work independently after initial training as well as being part of a team.
- Self-motivated, flexible, and willing to adapt to meet team goals.
- Keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
- Must be comfortable in the fast-paced, biotech start-up environment and interact with multi-disciplinary research teams at Spark.
- Exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.