The In Vivo Ocular research associate will be responsible for overseeing and performing In Vivo studies to support the ocular team and other therapeutic areas of the translational department.
Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Follow multiple concurrent studies according to the experimental design.
• Oversee and perform large numbers of in vivo studies concurrently.
• Perform Intravitreal/Subretinal injections, monitor animal health, collect blood samples, perform necropsies and record data for mouse studies, other species as needed.
• Perform Electroretinography, OCT and OKR monitoring in rodents.
• Maintain rodent breeding colonies.
• Perform IV/IP/PO/SC injections in mice and rats.
• General supplies and reagent inventory and ordering.
• Ensure accurate data recording.
• Interact with ocular team scientists and provide constant feedback.
• Work cross functionally with CNS, and liver teams and provide support to other R&D in vivo as needed.
80% Perform In Vivo experiments in laboratory animals according to applicable regulations; studies will utilize mice and other species, as needed.
20% Responsible for all safety aspects and best practices.
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required and 3 years hands on experience with rodents required or equivalent experience is acceptable. Master’s degree preferred
• Handling, restraining, dosing (IP, IM and IV) and blood collection experience required
• Experience with managing transgenic mouse colonies required
• Advanced skills on handling, restraining, dosing and performing a variety of procedures on study animals required.
• Keep accurate records, follow instructions and comply with company policies.
• Experience with Gene Therapy is a plus.
• Experience with IACUC protocols is preferred.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
• Strong organizational skills.
• Detail Oriented.
• Excellent record keeping.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple programs.
Complexity and Problem Solving
• Demonstrate independent problem-solving skills of technical issues; develop solutions to a variety of moderate to complex problems; Discuss with supervisor and refer to policies/practices for guidance.
• Must be comfortable in the fast-paced, biotech start-up environment and interact with multi-disciplinary research teams at Spark.
• Exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.