The key strategic focus within the Internal Medicine Research Unit (IMRU) is to identify novel therapies to prevent or treat diseases associated with diabetes or the metabolic syndrome including NASH, obesity, renal disease and heart failure. Similarly, another area of interest is the treatment of syndromes of unintended weight loss, such as the anorexia/cachexia and muscle wasting syndrome that often accompanies cancer or chronic diseases.
Our goal is to build a world class research team of dedicated scientists committed to developing a deep mechanistic understanding of the metabolic pathways underlying disease pathogenesis. As a scientific leader and a member of the discovery biology team, this individual will be playing a significant role in the drug discovery process including ideation, hypothesis testing and early clinical development within the IMRU portfolio. She/he will play a key role in creating and driving research strategy for discovery programs, which includes strategies for identification and validation of targets for drug discovery and disease/target related biomarker.
The successful candidate will lead a team of experimental scientists as well as collaborate effectively with a wide spectrum of scientific partners representing diverse disciplines. Knowledge and experience in the study of metabolic pathways are essential and familiarity with the pathophysiology of dysmetabolic states would be advantageous. In addition, the individual will build and facilitate collaborations with partners in the academic scientific community, as well as within the larger Pfizer network. She/he will have daily interactions with a team of creative and innovative scientists, working collaboratively in a supportive environment to conduct rigorous scientific and drug discovery research. Strong self-motivation, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to lead as well as work as part of a team are essential.Role Responsibilities
Successful candidates will be expected to:
- Apply creative thinking and scientific expertise to the formulation of strategies to identify and validate therapeutic targets in key areas of interest to the Internal Medicine Research Unit.
- Maintain an awareness of 'cutting edge' scientific and technical developments in preclinical to clinical translation and apply these where possible to advance portfolio programs.
- Conceptualize and design experiments.
- Lead a research team of lab heads and scientists with supervision and mentorship to scientists in developing skills essential to the execution of rigorous scientific research
- Organize and conduct in vivo/ ex vivo/ in vitro studies independently (including experimental design, data collection, interpretation, and presentation).
- Quantify and translate experimental results to advance the understanding of how metabolic pathways and complex physiological systems are altered by diseases and how they respond to therapeutic interventions.
- Build and facilitate collaborations with partners in the academic scientific community, as well as within the Pfizer network of scientists.
- Present research findings to Pfizer colleagues and the scientific community through publication in peer-reviewed journals and talks and posters at scientific meetings.
- Present and represent research programs to Pfizer leadership.
- Ensure that all research/discovery work is conducted with highest quality and ethical guidelines and in accordance with relevant regulatory, QC, and compliance guidelines.
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
Other Job Details
- PhD, MD, or MD/PhD with postdoctoral research experience.
- 6-10 years of experience in leading research groups and supervisory experience in industry or academic setting.
- A successful track record of scientific achievements through scientific publications and presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to review critically available data and to think creatively in formulating novel hypotheses.
- Deep expertise in metabolism and/or signaling pathways.
- Experience in performing in vitro, in vivo and ex vivo experiments.
- The candidate should be able to work independently as well as with an interdisciplinary team of scientists in a highly collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to multiple projects in parallel with learning agility and scientific rigor.
- Strong written/verbal communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with scientists working in other disciplines.
Eligible for Relocation Package Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development