Requisition # HRC0605204
Are you ready to be a part of breakthrough research?
When the work you do every single day has a crucial impact on the lives of others, every effort, every detail, and every second matters. This shared culture of happiness, passion, and dedication pulses through Cedars-Sinai, and it’s just one of the many reasons why we rank as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Principal Investigator, Maya Koronyo, PhD is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist to join the team!
The primary focus of the Koronyo-Hamaoui Laboratory is on early diagnosis and immune-based therapies for Alzheimer's disease (AD). A feasible noninvasive test to identify patients early on, which is essential for effective treatment, is an urgent unmet need. The Koronyo-Hamaoui Laboratory has shown, for the first time, that the hallmark pathology of AD, amyloid-β protein (Aβ) plaque, is present in the retina of human patients beginning at early stage.
To learn more about this type of research, please visit the Koronyo-Hamaoui Lab.
As a Postdoctoral Scientist, you will work independently on research projects in the lab. Conducts research in one or more areas in the lab according to the PI instructions:
- Neuroimmune mechanisms of CNS repair and regeneration;
- Role of monocytes in resisting the pathology associated with Alzheimer’s disease;
- Immune-based therapy for Alzheimer’s disease;
- Retinal pathology in Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative disorders for early diagnosis.
Under direct supervision of the PI, this position develops, prepares figures, analyzes data, and writes and submits peer-reviewed manuscripts for publication and grants in support of the laboratory research. You will orient research laboratory assistants and student researchers on day-to-day lab operations and routine procedures. Supervises and provides technical support/guidance to all research staff per PI instructions. Ensures that our laboratory activities are maintained in accordance with CSMC policies and procedures, especially for human and animal studies with approved protocols.
This role develops a high-level skill and technical expertise in one or more areas relevant to our neuroimmunology and Alzheimer’s disease (AD) research projects. The Postdoctoral Researcher participates in research activities involving all aspects of the research process, to include, but not limited to; investigation, technical, testing/validation of results, and report findings. The Postdoctoral Researcher keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results, and assist in identifying and troubleshooting of unexpected results. Under the direction of the PI, the Postdoctoral Researcher works independently on laboratory projects. This includes all aspects, from the designing stage of the experiments to peer-reviewed publications of the results and presentations at relevant national and international scientific conferences.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in preparation of grant proposals, submissions, publications and presentations but is not responsible for generating grant funds.
- May submit grant proposal independently and serve as PI for research as approved by supervising member of the Professorial Series.
- Participates in publications and presentations as an author or co-author.
- Develops, adapts and implements new research techniques and protocols.
- Assists others with lab experiments as necessary and conducts own research experiments.
- Analyzes, interprets, summarizes and compiles data.
- Assists in day-to-day laboratory activities, administrative burden, and assists with general management of laboratory resources.
- Appointees on an academic trajectory will be expected to commit a portion of their time to developing an independent range of research.
- Doctorate (MD, PhD, VMD or DDS) in area directly related to field of research specialization, required.
- Doctorate degree in Neuroscience, highly preferred.
Experience and Skillset:
- Knowledge of PI’s area of research specialization (Alzheimer’s disease, Neuroimmunology, and/or neuro-ophthalmology.
- Demonstrated technical competency in a variety of research techniques and protocols.
- Acquires thorough technical and theoretical knowledge of research project and objectives during one to five (1-5) year post-doctoral appointment.
- Demonstrated significant, original, and creative contributions to a research, program or project in the field of memory disorders.
- Demonstrated aptitude to perform experimental protocols and procedures, including detailed data collection, analysis, operation and maintenance of specialized equipment.
- Strong background in both in vitro and in vivo experimentation.
- Experience working with advanced flow cytometry, western blotting, RT-PCR, immunohistochemistry, immunocytochemistry, immune-based assays, fluorescent microscopy, handling mice and/or rats, live animal procedures, primary cell cultures, recording and analysis of immunological and pathological parameters, and/or behavioral parameters is ideal for this position.
- The ability to perform proliferation assays and to determine cell viability and cell death in vivo and in vitro is preferred. Background in signal transduction methods are also desired.
- Working Title: Postdoctoral Scientist - Koronyo Lab - Department of Neurosurgery
- Department: Home Dept-Black
- Business Entity: Academic / Research
- City: Los Angeles
- Job Category: Academic/Research
- Job Specialty: Postdoctoral
- Position Type: Full-time
- Shift Length: 8 hour shift
- Shift Type: Day