Scientist I position in molecular genetics/epigenetics in neurodegenerative disease (equivalent to post-doctoral position):
The Roskamp Institute is devoted to understanding the causes of, and finding the cures for, neuropsychiatric and neurodegenerative disorders. The Institute utilizes a broad range of scientific approaches to investigate neurological and neuropsychiatric conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders, Traumatic Brain Injury, Gulf War Illness and Post-traumatic Stress Disorder, all with a focus on translational research. The Roskamp Institute is funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Defense, the Veteran’s Administration and public-private partnerships. The Roskamp Institute’s multi-national scientific team has expertise in a wide range of disciplines including Immunology, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Genetics, Proteomics, Lipidomics, Metabolomics, Genomics, Mass Spectrometry, Pathology and Chemistry. The Institute offers a variety of opportunities for a career in science which includes basic and applied research as well as translational research in molecular biology and systems biology.
Where we are
The Roskamp Institute is located in sunny Sarasota which is a tropical beach paradise located on the Gulf of Mexico in Florida. Sarasota was chosen as America's Best Small City by CNN/Money Magazine due to the combination of a small-town atmosphere with big city amenities such as shopping/outlet malls, 5-star restaurants, opera and theaters. Sarasota averages 361 days of sunshine a year, and boasts 35 miles of beachfront, including Siesta Key Beach, which has some of the whitest and finest sand in the world and has been ranked at the number one beach in the United States.
The ideal candidate will participate in epigenetic investigations into neurological/neuropsychiatric disorders including Gulf War Illness and PTSD. Candidates should have a strong background in molecular genetics, molecular biology, cell biology and immunology, performing cell culture studies, enzyme assays and antibody based protein analysis.
Examples of Job Requirements:
- Performing basic molecular genetics and molecular/cell biology experiments (i.e. PCR, western blot analysis, ELISA, cell culture, immunohistochemistry and flow-cytometry studies).
- Performing neurobehavioral experiments
- Planning and conducting experiments
- Recording and analyzing data
- Presenting results to senior/other research staff
- Preparing and writing research protocols, papers, reports, reviews and summaries
- Demonstrating procedures
- Supervising junior staff including research assistants and technicians
- Ensuring that quality standards are met
- Keeping up to date with relevant scientific and technical developments
- Contribute to the submission of research proposals and contracts to funding agencies
- Train, mentor and supervise experimental laboratory staff with techniques and experimental procedures, and lead the development of new procedures and protocols.
- PhD degree in epigenetics/genetics or related disciplines is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good self-organizational and presentation skills.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- Ability to interact with individuals with varying levels of experience and background while working closely with colleagues, students and research assistants.
- Ability to demonstrate technical communication skills
- Background and laboratory training in molecular biology and inflammation
- Demonstrated record of publication in peer-reviewed journals.
- Willingness to learn new techniques.
- Excellent organizational, time and experiment management, and multitasking skills.
- Capable of working in a team environment with an interdisciplinary focus and with an emphasis on translational medicine.
- Creativity, independence, and self-motivation, with good communication skills.
Please submit a resume/cv for consideration of this position.
Please contact Lauren Horne at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this position.