Assistant Professor, BioChemistry (R0002111)
The Assistant Professor of Biochemistry will primarily teach undergraduate courses in the Department of Chemistry and Physics(https://www.fgcu.edu/cas/departments/cphy/) and will have the opportunity to develop new courses, build a productive program of research that involves students, participate on university committees, and perform other duties as assigned. Through the joint-appointment with The Water School, the successful candidate will also have an opportunity to teach a limited number of additional courses related to its degree programs and to mentor undergraduate and graduate students, as appropriate.
The Water School at FGCU (https://www.fgcu.edu/thewaterschool/) is hiring 15 faculty for Fall 2022 across a range of disciplines related to water and the environment. The Water School is an interdisciplinary enterprise that brings together faculty from five colleges and schools representing 15 departments to focus on the environmental, economic, and human dimensions of coastal resilience, ecosystem integrity, health and wellbeing, and restoration and remediation.
This joint appointment between the Department of Chemistry and Physics in the College of Arts and Sciences and The Water School will be made at the rank of Assistant Professor.
FGCU is dedicated to quality education, research, and service. Faculty are expected to be excellent teachers who are responsive to changing professional needs, committed to innovative delivery of instruction that results in improved student learning, produce high-quality peer reviewed scholarship, and serve the university and the local community, as appropriate. Primary teaching responsibilities will be on the main campus.
With an enrollment of 16,000 students, FGCU has a main campus of 800 acres with LEED-certified buildings and 400 acres of protected habitat. The university’s award-winning initiatives in education, energy production, research, and sustainable practices make us one of the nation’s greenest campuses. FGCU is located in beautiful Southwest Florida, known for its beaches, resorts, nature preserves, and outdoor recreation. Located between the cities of Fort Myers and Naples, FGCU is just two hours by car from the major cities of St. Petersburg, Tampa, and Miami, and 15 minutes from the Southwest Florida International Airport. The region is surrounded by water—important estuaries to the north, Lake Okeechobee to the east, the Gulf of Mexico to the west, and the Florida Everglades and Florida Bay to the south—providing an unparalleled setting to study all facets of water and environmental issues.
FGCU strives to embrace and promote diversity in all its forms, not only to create a more inclusive environment for the practices of our disciplines, but also to provide fair and just outcomes for all to achieve their full potential. Inclusion of and respect for people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and ideas will lead to superior solutions to world challenges and advance our disciplines as global, multidisciplinary sciences.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Develop and teach assigned courses: prepare syllabi and instruction materials, coordinate lectures, evaluate students and maintain highest possible standards of classroom instruction.
- Collaborate with other faculty to develop/revise curriculum.
- Develop and maintain an independent and productive research program that also involves students.
- Mentor undergraduate and graduate students, as appropriate, in research.
- Seek external funding to support research program, including students.
- Demonstrate quality of research through peer-review.
- Stay current with new developments in field of instruction and maintain disciplinary skills through professional development activities appropriate to higher education faculty.
- Actively serve on university committees and participate in institutional meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Additional Job Description
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry or related discipline from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation, with a record of research publications in scholarly journals.
- Evidence of scholarly expertise related to biochemistry.
- Must meet university and Department of Chemistry and Physics criteria for appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor.
- ABD will be considered if degree is conferred by August 7, 2022. If successful candidate is ABD, appointment will be made at a Lecturer level on a fixed contract.
- Preferred candidates are those whose teaching and research experience and interests align with the Department of Chemistry and Physics and who can make interdisciplinary connections with The Water School.
- Teaching experience as instructor of record.
- Post-doctoral experience.
- Strong research agenda with well-defined goals.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Familiarity with and use of diverse and innovative teaching approaches to engage students and ensure student learning.
- Demonstrated development and use of skills appropriate to the discipline.
- Ability to conduct independent research and involve students in research.
- Ability to mentor students in research with the students’ learning and training in mind.
- Ability to contribute effectively and collegially to a positive, dynamic, civil, and inclusive learning and working environment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made on a 9-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2022.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
The position is listed as “open until filled”, however applications received by October 30, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
Salary: $56,000- Negotiable
FGCU is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Employer