Director, Legal Investigations and Litigation
Director, Legal Investigations and Litigation
China - Hong KongSingapore - Singapore
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
We are seeking a Director, Litigation & Investigations (L&I) to lead L&I activities in our Asian affiliates and surrounding jurisdictions. The role reports to the International lead for L&I, based in the UK and, as the only L&I attorney in the region (preference Hong Kong base), you will be a key member of the international Legal and Compliance organization and the broader L&I team, which is largely based in Gilead's US headquarters (Foster City, California).
Gilead L&I attorneys manage a broad range of matters, including internal legal investigations, government investigation response, litigation and related advisory work.
You will need to work flexibly with colleagues from all levels and functions within the Company - including regional and international leadership, specialist Legal functions, Country Counsel, Country HR, Employee Relations, eDiscovery and business partners - as well as external counsel, in order to deliver proactive and effective support for all aspects of L&I matters, in a manner that is proportionate to the legal risks identified.
The role will also collaborate closely on strategy with the International Legal Leadership Team and the Centre of Excellence to continuously review best practices and strategy, provide training, and drive consistency across the region.
As such, you should enjoy working collaboratively with colleagues; align with L&I's culture of respect, support, high standards, and affability; and demonstrate Gilead's Core Values of Integrity, Inclusion, Teamwork, Excellence, and Accountability.
You will serve as the lead lawyer for the L&I function in the Asia region, providing advice and counsel on a broad range of issues that may create risk of legal, regulatory and/or other risks to the Company.
Investigations - Lead internal investigations across the Asia region working collaboratively with Country/Regional Counsel and external law firms as required/appropriate depending on the nature of the investigation. Investigative areas primarily cover compliance with applicable healthcare laws, including those related to promotion within regulatory labelling, healthcare fraud/financial interactions with healthcare professionals, disclosure of healthcare spend, and anti-bribery (e.g. FCPA, UK Bribery Act, Anti-Graft legislation).
Responsible for developing investigation plans, interviewing witnesses, assessing and documenting findings, and recommending and presenting corrective actions to business partners and senior leadership.
Take a key coordinating role in Company responses to any government investigations and/or requests for information.
Litigation - Manage, or support Country and Regional Counsel in managing litigation/arbitration and pre-dispute matters across Asia, including commercial contract, product liability and public/administrative law disputes. Responsible for developing and assessing case strategies, assisting with interviewing fact and expert witnesses, reviewing motions and briefs, and managing external counsel.
Employment Law - Provide support as required to the Employment Law Group (including the Senior Employment Counsel, International, based in the UK), Country Counsel, Employee Relations, and Human Resources Business Partners in supporting employment law matters and compliance with local labor laws across Asia.
Other Key Responsibilities:
- Maintain close coordination with Legal and HR leadership in the United States, UK International headquarters and each affiliate;
- In collaboration with HR, Employee Relations, Employment Law Group, Global Compliance and other key stakeholders, support the design and implementation of policies, procedures, workflows and training plans to be implemented at a local level;
- Deliver training on areas of L&I responsibility;
- Interface with Global business conduct/anti-corruption teams to ensure efficient and effective consideration of international activities;
- Manage internal and external resources, advancing a positive spirit of partnership and collaboration with internal clients including Legal, Human Resources, Regulatory, Finance, Commercial, Medical Affairs, outside counsel, specialist consultants, and Internal Audit.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Qualified lawyer with 8+ years' experience practicing at a reputable law firm and/or multi-national in-house legal department
- Proven experience and sound judgment in conducting and managing international litigation and investigations matters, in particular with a focus on Asia.
- Substantive expertise in litigation and investigation and related legal issues, including in particular anti-corruption and healthcare compliance.
- Must have experience and expertise in advising on and coordinating advice on matters across multiple jurisdictions
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a variety of different personalities
- High influencing and persuasion skills; ability to drive alignment with cross-functional stakeholders and negotiate with opposing counsel
- Demonstrated client service orientation; able to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent situations
- Exceptional and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to competently carry-out and follow through on directives, learn quickly, apply legal analysis in a business context, and work independently to identify issues and goals
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment is critical. The position requires appropriate triaging of a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients, and delivering results within the reasonable agreed timelines
- Ability to manage or coordinate the work of others, including external counsel and working groups or
- project teams
- Ability to communicate legal opinions and risk assessments in a practical, business oriented manner to senior leaders, both lawyers and non-lawyers, and other internal clients to help reach alignment and solutions
- The candidate must demonstrate ability to learn, think creatively, and devise solutions to challenging
- problems and must exercise mature and reliable judgment
- Fluent in English and at least one other language, preferably Mandarin Chinese.
- Please note, we use PQE purely as a guide and welcome applications from all candidates who can demonstrate the skills necessary to fulfil the role.
Gilead's Core values
Integrity (always doing the right thing);
Teamwork (collaborating in good faith);
Excellence (working at a high level of commitment and capability);
Accountability (taking personal responsibility).
Inclusion (respect people of all backgrounds and experiences)
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/China---Hong-Kong/Director--Legal-Investigations-and-Litigation_R0022954-1
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency