Research Scientist, Bioinformatics
Research Scientist, Bioinformatics
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
We are seeking a highly talented and motivated bioinformatics scientist to join our Predictive Sciences and Infrastructure team in the Research Data Sciences Group. The successful candidate will take a lead role in developing/applying machine learning and bioinformatics methods that integrate large-multi-modal datasets (scRNA-Seq, bulk RNA-seq, WES, CRISPR, pathology, etc) to derive quantitative biological insights. This individual will be responsible for developing and employing rigorous statistical modeling and bioinformatics methods, interpreting and integrating large scale datasets to enable research objectives across therapeutics areas of oncology, inflammation, fibrosis and virology. The successful candidate will have the ability to formulate scientific questions into coherent analytical efforts and communicate analysis results and scientific findings to project teams and across different research functions.
- Develop and implement quality assessment, statistical analysis and data visualization for multi-omics datasets (e.g., , RNA-Seq, single cell sequencing, WES, WGS etc)
- Develop novel predictive models using statistical techniques and machine learning for analysis of large omics and high dimensional data from internal, publicly available, commercial, and real-world datasets to enable target identification/assessment, drug combinations, understanding of MOA, disease mechanisms, etc.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to analyze and interpret complex large datasets and communicate findings and recommend follow-up actions in multiple settings (including: 1:1, seminars, group, and project meetings)
- Actively identify new opportunities/questions that advanced computational methods can address and develop/evaluate solutions both independently and collaboratively
- Develop data dashboards, visualizations and analytical tools to enable data analysis and exploration by the broader Gilead Research community
- Provide expertise and technical consultation for external collaborations/partnerships in academia and industry
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Hands-on experience analyzing, interpreting, and integrating large-scale biological datasets, such as genomics, transcriptomics, epigenetics, proteomics, high throughput screening, and/or molecular pathology, etc is required
- Hands on experience in high performance computing (e.g., AWS) is required.
- Expertise in developing algorithms and applications for predictive modeling, data mining and/or visualization of large scale multi-dimensional omics datasets.
- Strong statistics knowledge, such as probability theory, statistical power, univariate and/or multi-variate analysis, unsupervised and supervised analysis, regression analysis, survival analysis, and/or deep learning, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of bioinformatics algorithms, genomic and proteomic technologies and high-throughput experimental techniques, e.g. next generation sequencing technologies, single cell technologies, and/or their applications.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with research scientists and cross-functional teams, and to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced working environment.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills and ability to present to senior management team.
- Demonstrated the ability to synthesize scientific questions into a coherent research effort and communicate scientific findings across different functional teams
- A proactive and self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic and scientific rigor, ability to work in a dynamic environment and able to manage multiple objectives in parallel and adapt to changing priorities
- A Ph.D. in statistics, mathematics, bioinformatics, genomics, computer science or related field with strong hands-on experience in Omics, machine learning, predictive modeling. Industry experience is preferred but not required.
- Proficient in statistical and scripting programming languages, such as R, Python, etc. is required
- Extensive experience with multi-omics data and large-scale biological datasets is required
- Experience with advanced knowledge of a broad range of statistical machine learning and predictive modeling techniques is required
- Strong scientific background and in-depth understanding of genomic and proteomic technologies and high-throughput experimental techniques is required
- Hands on experience with high performance parallel computing environments and cloud computing systems, data management systems, advanced statistical software, and/or visualization tools is required
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills that foster collaboration and teamwork
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. Full vaccination is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Research-Scientist--Bioinformatics_R0020848-1
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency