Research Fellow - AI
The Research shield at Mayo Clinic is committed to creating a diverse environment and recognizes that diverse research teams make better decisions, are more equipped to solve complex problems and adapt to change, and produce better outcomes. That diversity is about opening up to unconventional ideas that create better outcomes, while recognizing colleagues' unique contributions. Become part of the legacy that embraces these differences and enables us to provide the best care to patients from all over the world.
Mayo Clinic offers a variety of employee benefits. For additional information please visit Mayo Clinic Benefits. Eligibility may vary.
The Mayo Clinic Center for Individualized Medicine (CIM) invites applications for a postdoctoral research fellow position focused on the development and application of machine learning and computational biology methodologies for personalized medicine. The PI is Dr. Nicholas Chia (https://www.mayo.edu/research/faculty/chia-nicholas-ph-d/bio-20087464 ). We are seeking hardworking and talented individuals to help us realize our mission of using artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning to solve real-world problems in healthcare. The selected research fellow will be encouraged to innovate without boundaries by developing cutting edge statistical models and machine learning frameworks in the pursuit of early detection of disease and novel drug discovery. They will work alongside fellow clinicians and scientists to drive research that will transform high-dimensional ‘omics’ data into interpretable patterns that can lead to new biological and clinical insight within CIM and throughout the enterprise. This position provides the opportunity to research, implement and deliver deep learning algorithms for a wide range of translational applications in medicine.
* Develop highly scalable algorithms based on state-of-the-art machine learning and neural network methodologies.
* Collaborate with CIM scientists to facilitate research that enables learning the semantics of multi-omics data for precision medicine applications.
* Apply knowledge of relevant research domains along with expert coding skills to platform and framework development projects.
A Research Fellow at Mayo Clinic is a temporary position intended to provide training and education in research. Individuals will train in the research program of a Mayo Clinic principal investigator. Qualified individuals will demonstrate the potential for research as evidenced by their training and peer-reviewed publications and should become competitive for national research grants. Proof of English proficiency is required for J-1 Short-Term Scholars, Research Scholars, Professors, Specialists, and Student Interns sponsored by Mayo Clinic.
The following is required for completeness of application:
* Current curriculum vitae with bibliography
* Proof of doctoral degree (copy of diploma or final transcript with English translation, if applicable) or a letter from your university's Registrar office indicating you have fulfilled all doctoral program requirements and are eligible to graduate.
Please also be prepared that you may be asked to provide three letters of recommendation to the hiring PI prior to an interview. Must have a Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent doctoral degree in a field deemed relevant by the program. Research Fellow is appropriate for individuals who have completed no more than one prior postdoctoral fellowship, at Mayo Clinic or elsewhere.
* Experience in developing and debugging in C/C++ and/or Python.
* Experience building systems based on machine learning (especially deep learning) methods.
* Experience using frameworks like PyTorch, Caffe2, TensorFlow, Theano, Keras, and/or Chainer.
* Research and software engineer experience demonstrated via internship(s), contributions to open source, work experience, and/or coding competitions.
Successful applicants will have or be near completing a Ph.D. in a relevant, quantitative field such as computer science, engineering, or statistics, and will have extensive research experience with a strong publication record in computational biology, statistics, probability, machine learning, and/or artificial intelligence. Top candidates will be self-motivated, versatile, innovative, fast learners, team workers, good communicators, and have strong analytical skills. Applicant must be strongly familiar with programming languages commonly used in data science (listed above) and comfortable with learning/applying standard bioinformatics tools for processing and analyzing ’omics datasets. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong ability to independently and creatively solve research problems while working effectively with the principal investigator and lab colleagues, is a requirement. Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.