Vice President, Research
Reporting to the President, the Vice President for Research serves as the driver of new research initiatives in collaboration with other research leaders at UT Health San Antonio. The Vice President also holds the primary responsibility for planning, developing, and implementing all research administration initiatives in support of UT Health’s vision, mission, and strategic priorities. The Vice President serves as the institutional official for the institution’s Human Research Protection Program, the Institutional Review Board, and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Program and is responsible for fostering a research climate that promotes adherence to high ethical standards in the conduct of research. The successful candidate will be a forward-leaning and pro-active facilitator and leader who will add value to research programs across the institution.
- Collaborates with University leaders for the stimulation, strategic planning, and institutional oversight of research activities in the areas of biomedical sciences, translational research, and clinical trials.
- Supports, fosters, and promotes a culture of innovation and research integrity at the University.
- Provides direction, resources, and oversight to help ensure that appropriate institutional policies and procedures are developed, implemented, communicated, and maintained to promote compliant, ethical, and responsible design, conduct, reporting, and reviewing of research in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations and sponsoring agency policies and procedures.
- Develops and oversees partnerships with industry, government, and external partner institutions, nationally and internationally to promote the research mission.
- Creates an environment and culture that facilitates, encourages, inspires, nurtures, and supports discovery by enabling and assisting faculty with identifying and securing external research funds through regional, national, and international grants (institutional and individual), partnerships and contracts.
- Collaborates with research leadership in each of the five UT Health SA schools to add value to the overall research mission.
- Assesses the annual compilation, analysis, and effectiveness of UT Health San Antonio’s research budget, to include the Human Research Protection Program, the Institutional Animal Care Program, and the Laboratory Animal Resources budgets.
- Oversees the disbursement and management of institutional discretionary research funds in the pursuit and promotion of horizontal integration of research activities.
- Assists the Office of Sponsored Programs in reporting performance measures regarding research initiatives.
Doctorate in biomedical sciences, health professions, clinical sciences, nursing, or equivalent.
- At least five (5) years of leadership experience in the areas of research administration, research regulation, and/or clinical research.
- Strong record of scholarly activities including sustained research and extramural funding, multidisciplinary collaborations and development of research programs.
- Strong ability to build partnerships to meet shared objectives, collaborating across and within different levels of the organization and focusing on incorporating differing views in ways that lead to enriched business decisions.
- Experience developing, implementing and measuring strategies and programs based on interdisciplinary work to improve processes and facilitate innovation.