Associate Scientist, Biology (Equipment Specialist)
Associate Scientist, Biology (Equipment Specialist)
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
At Gilead, we strive to transform the promise of science and technology into therapies that have the power to cure, prevent or treat disease. As a research-based biopharmaceutical company, we are revolutionizing healthcare by bringing medicines to patients in the areas of HIV, AIDS, liver diseases, hematology and oncology, and inflammation and respiratory diseases.
We are growing a diverse team of professionals and an atmosphere of inclusion across departments. We need your unique talents, expertise and background to help millions of people around the world live healthier. Join a close community where every voice is heard - where you can see and measure the results of your contributions. Our values - integrity, inclusion, teamwork, accountability and excellence - are evident in everything we do.
Equipment Specialist - Discovery Sciences & Technologies
We are seeking a dynamic individual to join Discovery Sciences & Technologies (DST) to maintain our instruments and automation functioning at a high level across seven labs. The area of responsibility extends across a broad array of lab instrumentation including workstations, automation, HPLC, LCMS, liquid handlers, plate readers, analytical balances, and plate washers. This position will be in the brand-new state of the art Research facility at the Foster City, CA campus. This is a great opportunity for a technical expert to use their knowledge and experience to accelerate Gileads drug discovery efforts in Research. Our department is highly collaborative, and we support all Gilead research and exploratory projects across several therapeutic areas including virology, inflammation, oncology and respiratory disease.
The candidate will work in a matrixed team environment, collaborating with colleagues and key stakeholders, to ensure lab instrumentation and operations are running smoothly and on schedule. The equipment specialist's key role is to maintain and repair instruments in the labs. They will also troubleshoot errors, escalating to service and maintenance tickets as needed. The candidate will manage throughout the entire equipment lifecycle, coordinating efforts across internal groups and vendors. Excellent communication skills are essential to interact with scientists, provide user training, share timely status updates and interact with technical support teams.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
The successful candidate will enthusiastically engage in hands-on troubleshooting and repair of lab equipment. The candidate in this lab-based role should have a strong background and interest in working with equipment found in high throughput assay Biology and Biophysics labs. The candidate must be driven, resourceful, and able to work independently. Excellent organizational and communication skills are essential to success in working with a broad array of stakeholders including scientists, service engineers, technical support teams, Facilities, IT, and Purchasing. The candidate will participate in regular team meetings and formulate conclusions and strategies moving forward within the context of broader project goals. Teamwork and excellent verbal and written communication skills are critical.
- Support existing automated workflows through timely system error recovery, equipment troubleshooting and minor instrument repair
- Proactively take initiative to identify and solve technical problems and issues
- Initiate and coordinate with minimal supervision across functions including service engineers for all equipment lifecycle management stages from new equipment demonstrations & acquisitions, equipment transfers and modifications, and equipment decommission
- Coordinate and communicate to users about scheduled and unscheduled maintenance activities in a timely manner
- Manage badge access for key service engineers and escort all service engineers to labs for required preventive maintenance and repairs
- Partner with lab instrument power users to educate and train team members to operate instruments and automation successfully
- Conduct lab equipment training, tours, and orientations for new employees
- Work directly with staff scientists to create new workflows and protocols and adapt technologies to automation
- Proactively maintain preventive maintenance & repair contracts for key equipment
- BS In Engineering or Life Science field with 5+ years relevant experience and minimum of 2 years industry experience
- MS In Engineering or Life Science field 3+ years relevant experience and a minimum of 1 year industry experience
- Experience operating and programming lab instrumentation and automation to include troubleshooting, start-up and installation, commissioning/decommissioning
- Demonstrated ability to work in infectious virus and non-infectious biology labs
- Knowledge of principles, standard practices and techniques of servicing, maintaining and repairing laboratory equipment and instruments, materials, parts, supplies, equipment used in the maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Demonstrated ability to work and manage equipment in fast-paced, high volume, team-oriented laboratory environment and make decisions with general guidance and supervision
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate a high degree of personal & professional initiative
- Excellent project- and time-management abilities supported by strong communication, collaboration and follow-through skills
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize, and handle multiple and changing projects and priorities
- Solid computer skills including proficiency with the following: Agilent Vworks, Biomek FX control software, ECHO Access control software, ThermoFisher Momentum, and Microsoft Office applications
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs., work on equipment while bending, kneeling, sitting, and/or standing
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans\' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. Full vaccination is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.\u200b
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Associate-Scientist--Biology--Equipment-Specialist-_R0022857-1
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency