Genomics / Bioinformatics Research Scientist
A Research Scientist is sought to undertake cutting-edge research in the field of genomics. Successful hires will join an interdisciplinary research group pursuing ambitious, long-term projects aimed at achieving major scientific advances in the fields of biodefense, medicine, and forensics.
Note: Due to the nature of the work, all candidates must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
The Genomics / Bioinformatics Research Scientist will have the opportunity to work at the forefront of multiple scientific disciplines and is expected to be capable of developing new methodologies, tools, and pipelines, as well as driving the identification and implementation of emerging technologies and statistical tools. In this position, the scientist will validate and manage genomic datasets; statistically analyze phenotypic, genotypic, and environmental data; and create predictive models for biodefense, medical, and forensic use. The scientist will assist with the development of new project ideas and subsequent writing of proposals to submit for funding. Operationally, the Research Scientist will be responsible for performing analyses using existing pipelines related to Parabon's Snapshot Forensic DNA Analysis Service.
- Ph.D. or Ph.D. completion expected within the next six months in Genetics, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or related field;
- Expertise in hands-on bioinformatic analysis of large-scale genomic and phenotypic data with three or more years of experience in a professional or academic environment;
- Proficiency with genomics and statistical software tools such as PLINK, R, Matlab, SAS, MDR or equivalent in an academic or professional environment;
- Proficiency with scientific programming in a language such as Python, C/C++, Perl, Java, or equivalent in an academic or professional environment;
- US citizen or a permanent resident; and,
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills and ability to demonstrate written skills via submission of a writing sample.
Preferred Qualifications, But Not Required
- Experience in microbiology and metagenomics
- Knowledge of the fields of human population genetics, machine learning, forensic science and/or neuroscience.
- Strong writing ability and successful proposal writing experience
- Experience with development of novel project ideas and execution
- Expertise in biostatistics
- Experience with molecular dynamics simulation
Please include cover letters, résumés, and writing samples when you apply
Parabon's bioinformatics division is based in Reston, Virginia. The ideal candidate will be located in the Washington DC region, however, telework arrangements will be considered for exceptional US-based applicants living outside the Virginia / Maryland / District of Columbia area.
Apply for Genomics / Bioinformatics Research Scientist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly