Tenure Track Assistant Professor at the Department of Biomedicine
The Department of Biomedicine at Faculty of Health at Aarhus University invites applications for one or more positions as Tenure Track Assistant Professor as per 1 September 2022 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position is a fixed-term full-time position with possibility of becoming tenured.
We offer a vibrant international research environment where English is the preferred language in the laboratory, at meetings and at seminars. The Department employs some 500 people and covers a range of research areas within Biomedicine. We contribute to the Bachelor’s degree programs in medicine, molecular medicine, odontology and the Master’s degree programs in biomedical engineering and medical chemistry. Our infrastructure is well developed with modern laboratories, core and animal facilities. You can read more about the department here and about the faculty here.
Your job responsibilities
We offer an attractive career opportunity for promising and talented researchers from around the world. The position is a career development position with the possibility of transition to a tenured associate professorship. We will work together with you to develop your research talent through supervision, professional networks and pedagogical upgrading.
As Tenure Track Assistant Professor your primary tasks will be research and research-based teaching. You will teach and supervise students at Bachelor’s and Master’s level, and you will contribute to the development of the department through research of the highest international quality. In your daily work, you will work closely with both Danish and international colleagues.
Your main tasks will consist of:
- Independent research of the highest international quality, including publication.
- Teaching, guidance and examination of Bachelor’s and Master's degree students, as well as possible supervision of PhD students.
- Some degree of contribution towards attracting external research funding.
- The opportunity to collaborate with relevant national and international research environments.
An attractive start package can be negotiated.
You will report to the Head of Department Biomedicine.
You have independent research-related qualifications at a high international level. You are a clear communicator and you have some degree of experience of supervision and teaching at Bachelor’s and Master's degree level and potential of becoming a successful group leader. Completed pedagogical courses in supervision or similar will be a plus, as will experience with the establishment of PhD courses and external research collaborations. You have completed one or more productive stays at a university abroad. We are looking for scientists with medical research background who sees opportunities in collaboration with the existing strong research groups at Aarhus University and Aarhus University Hospital as well as abroad.
As a person, you have good interpersonal skills, are friendly and helpful and able to contribute to a good work environment.
We expect you to be fluent in oral and written English. International applicants are expected to learn Danish, and Aarhus University arranges Danish teaching.
In order to be assessed as qualified for a Tenure Track Assistant Professor position, you must meet these academic criteria.
Shortlisting may be used.
Questions about the position
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Head of Biomedicine Thomas G. Jensen tel.: (+45) 2778 2805.
We expect to conduct interviews at the end of May 2022.
The tenure track position starts out with appointment as assistant professor with a view to permanent employment as an associated professor.
Permanent tenure as an associate professor is conditional upon you being assessed as qualified as such no later than 6 months before the expected transition to associate professor at the latest. In order to be assessed as qualified for an associate professor position, you must meet these academic criteria.
You will be appointed a supervisor by Head of Department and evaluation meetings will take place at least every half year.
Required qualifications - Assessment as assistant professor
Appointment as assistant professor requires academic qualifications at PhD level.
For an applicant to qualify for a tenure track position, these academic criteria must be met in addition to the requirements described in the job advertisement.
Terms of employment
- Further information on the appointment procedure can be found in the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
- The appointment is in accordance with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (Akademikerne).
- Remuneration is in accordance with the above, and the Salary agreement catalogue for staff at Health.
- The yearly base salary for a fulltime tenure track assistant professor with minimum 3 years of working experience after achieved MSc degree is DKK 486,969.17 or DKK 512,713.62 with minimum 4 years of working experience after achieved MSc degree. The base salary includes a position related supplement and pension (17.1 %). Additional supplement(s) for special qualifications can be negotiated. Authorisation supplement(s) will be granted, if relevant for the position. Your local eligible trade union representative at Aarhus University negotiates your salary on your behalf.
- Researchers recruited from abroad are offered a special researcher tax scheme with a lower tax rate.
- Travel and moving expenses may be covered according to the employee in question and, to a limited extent, the accompanying family.
- Further information on qualification requirements and job description can be found in the Ministerial Order on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities
Your application must include the following:
- Motivated application
- Curriculum Vitae
- A list of publications
- A teaching portfolio. We refer to Guideline on the use of teaching portfolios
- A maximum of five of the publications of greatest relevance to the job must be submitted
- Template for applicant - assistant professor or tenure track assistant professor must be completed and uploaded under ‘Extra documents’
- Strategic research plan, which is part of the 'Template to applicant - assistant professor or tenure track assistant professor' can be uploaded separately
- Coauthor statement(s) can be uploaded
- References/recommendations can be uploaded separately in the recruitment system
We refer to the faculty’s Guidelines for applicants.
The assessment committee may decide to include non-submitted material in its statement. In such cases, you will be informed and obliged to submit material, unless your application is withdrawn.
Aarhus University’s ambition is to be an attractive and inspiring workplace for all and to foster a culture in which each individual has opportunities to thrive, achieve and develop. We view equality and diversity as assets, and we welcome all applicants.
Letter of reference
If you want a referee to upload a letter of reference on your behalf, please state the referee’s contact information when you submit your application. We strongly recommend that you make an agreement with the person in question before you enter the referee’s contact information, and that you ensure that the referee has enough time to write the letter of reference before the application deadline.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to ensure that letters of reference received after the application deadline will be taken into consideration.
Aarhus University offers a broad variety of services for international researchers and accompanying families, including relocation service and career counselling to expat partners. Please find more information about entering and working in Denmark here. Aarhus University also has a Junior Researcher Development Programme. You can read more about it here.
The application must be submitted via Aarhus University’s recruitment system, which can be accessed under the job advertisement on Aarhus University's website.
28 October 2021
Aarhus University is an academically diverse and research-intensive university with a strong commitment to high-quality research and education and the development of society nationally and globally. The university offers an inspiring research and teaching environment to its 38,000 students (FTEs) and 8,000 employees, and has an annual revenues of EUR 885 million. Learn more at www.international.au.dk/