Sr Counsel I - Employment Counsel
Sr Counsel I - Employment Counsel
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
['Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Employment Counsel (Senior Counsel I)
Specific Responsibilities and Skills Employment Counsel at Gilead are responsible for providing legal advice and guidance on a wide range of employment matters in a fast-paced environment, including day-to-day management of employment litigation, investigations and pre-litigation matters, as well as working closely with HR and others to assist with employment issues that arise from the Company's operations. This position will be the fourth attorney, and fifth member, of Gilead's Employment Law Group, which is part of the Litigation & Investigations (L&I) team in Gilead's Legal Department. In this role, you should enjoy working collaboratively and closely with colleagues; align with L&I's culture of respect, support, high standards, and affability; and demonstrate Gilead's Core Values of Integrity, Inclusion, Teamwork, Excellence, and Accountability. This position will require substantive expertise in employment law combined with excellent project management skills and sound judgment in delivering legal opinions, managing cases, and interacting with internal business clients and stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Job Functions
- Provide subject matter expertise on a broad range of employment issues, including recruitment, hiring, high risk disciplinary actions and terminations, re-organizations, complex leaves of absence and accommodations issues, compensation, wage & hour laws, contingent workers, HR practices, and performance management, among others
- Manage and direct privileged internal investigation in partnership with HR
- Assist HR with the creation of policies, standards and business procedures designed to foster compliance with various state and federal employment laws and regulations
- In coordination with HR, develop and deliver trainings to internal clients on a variety of employment legal topics
- Manage and resolve employment litigation, including complaints, EEOC/DFEH charges, pre-litigation demand letters, and partner with eDiscovery to manage discovery and preservation issues
- Build and maintain strong relationships with other members of the legal team, the human resources team, and other internal clients to support employment law compliance and manage employment law risk
Education & Experience
- Juris Doctorate from a nationally recognized law school preferred or equivalent advanced degree
- Advanced understanding of California and federal employment law with 6+ years' experience at a top tier law firm and/or in-house corporate environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a variety of different personalities
- High influencing and persuasion skills; ability to drive alignment with cross-functional stakeholders and negotiate with opposing counsel
- Demonstrated client service orientation; able to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent situations
- Exceptional and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to competently carry-out and follow through on directives, learn quickly, apply legal analysis in a business context, and work independently to identify issues and goals
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment is critical. The position requires appropriate triaging of a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients, and delivering results within the reasonable agreed timelines
- Ability to manage or coordinate the work of others, including outside counsel and working groups or project teams
- Ability to communicate legal opinions and risk assessments in a practical, business oriented manner to senior executives, members of the legal and HR teams, and other business clients to help reach solutions
- The candidate must demonstrate ability to learn, think creatively, and devise solutions to challenging problems and must exercise mature and reliable judgment.
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans\' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans\' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. Full vaccination is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.\u200b
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Sr-Counsel-I---Employment-Counsel_R0022743
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency