Radio-frequency engineer or physicist - development of state-of-the-art accelerator beam diagnostics
For our location in Hamburg we are seeking:
Radio-frequency engineer or physicist for development of state-of-the- art accelerator beam diagnostics Limited: 3 years | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: MMA092/2020 | Deadline: open | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with its more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world's leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The MSK Group develops, builds and operates complex control, synchronization and feedback systems for beam control and beam diagnostics for the accelerators of FLASH, PETRA III and the European XFEL. This advertised project aims to develop and build the next generation of Beam Arrival Monitors, which are high bandwidth radio frequency and electro-optical assemblies that measure the electron bunch timing within the accelerator with a precision on the femtosecond scale.
About your role:
- Component research and quality assessment of signal detectors
- Full system integration of the measurement device, including the control electronics
- Final device characterization in terms of signal noise, stability and overall achievable precision
- Completed scientific higher education with doctorate in electrical engineering, physics, communication technologies or comparable skills and experiences
- Substantial experience with radio-frequency devices in the 10-100 GHz range
- Experience in measurement with lab equipment such as Vector Network Analyzer, Spectrum and Phase Noise Analyzer
- Experience with either of the following is an asset: analog electronics, digital electronics, electro-optical devices, laser optics components, control systems, accelerator operation, project management
- Ability to work independently and in international teams
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH.
For further information please contact Marie Czwalinna at +49 40 8998-92912.
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal.
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position.
Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392