Postdoctoral Position (m/f/d) Immunology (Innate Immunity)
About BioMed X
BioMed X is an independent research institute located on the campus of the University of Heidelberg in Germany. Together with our partners, we identify big biomedical research challenges and provide creative solutions by combining global crowdsourcing with local incubation of the world’s brightest early-career research talents. Each of the highly diverse research teams at BioMed X has access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure and is continuously guided by experienced mentors from academia and industry. At BioMed X, we combine the best of two worlds - academia and industry - and enable breakthrough innovation by making biomedical research more efficient, more agile, and more fun.
About Translocation of Complex Macromolecules Across the Intestinal Epithelial Barrier (TMI)
The main objective of the research group TMI, headed by Dr. Kyungbo Kim, is to discover novel transport mechanisms in the human intestinal tract which could be utilized for oral-systemic delivery of diverse therapeutic modalities (e.g., peptides, oligonucleotides, and antibodies). Studies will involve isolating intestinal cells, generating intestinal organoids from murine and human subjects, and creating a organotypic assay system of the intestine. The project's cores are to develop a ligand specific for a target cell and establish quantitative assessment methods to monitor macromolecular drug delivery across the intestinal epithelial barrier. Our final goal is to create a novel delivery platform, which can be utilized for the development of a new generation of oral immunotherapies to benefit patients.
We are looking for highly enthusiastic researchers with a strong background in immunology (innate immunity).
- Theoretical and/or technical background in dendritic cell (DC) /macrophage biology
- Experience in cell sorting and immune profiling (i.e., Flow cytometry, CyTOF etc)
- Extended experience with tissue ex vivo handling (i.e., cell isolation, organotypic cultures (murine and/or human)
- Hands-on experience in molecular biology techniques and genetic manipulation of cells (e.g., PCR, RNA isolation, western blotting, cloning, and gene overexpression/knockdown or gene knock-in/knock-out)
- Good documentation skills with close attention to detail
- Team oriented, practical interpersonal and communication skills
- Independent thinking
- Experienced to work in interdisciplinary teams
- Excellent communication skills in English
Additional preferred skills
- Familiarity with the intestinal field
- Hands-on experience in generation and culture of organoids
- Experience with microscopy techniques (e.g., confocal microscopy, live-cell imaging)
- Experience in phage display (random peptide library) technique
- Hands-on experience in protein purification
What we offer
- International, diverse, and positive work atmosphere,flexible working environment
- A competitive salary
- Access to training and lecture courses in house as well as in neighboring research institutions on the Life Science Campus in Heidelberg
- Access to a vast network in science and industry
- Job ticket, sponsored fitness contract, complimentary fresh fruit, soft drinks and chocolate, team recognition events, etc.
The post is offered for a limited term until 31 August, 2025. The position is sponsored by Janssen, Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson.
Candidates are requested to submit
- 1-page cover letter explaining the reasons of interest to join our team
- Curriculum Vitae outlining scientific interests, research achievements, a record of publications, future personal goals and extra-scientific passions
- 2 references
The position is available as of 01 November 2021. Please submit your application to the attention of Dr. Kyungbo Kim before 31 October 2021 via our online application system: https://apply.bio.mx/job/2021-J05
BioMed X Institute
Im Neuenheimer Feld 515