Vice Chair of Research - Associate Professor or Professor (open rank)
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
Associate Professor or Professor (open rank) & Vice Chair of Research
The Department of Anesthesiology is committed to promoting a balanced academic program of patient care, teaching, and scientific investigation. The Chair of the Department of Anesthesiology will be assisted by appointed Vice Chairs to lead the department in accomplishing its goals within the University of Colorado, the School of Medicine, and across the affiliate organizations.
In order to accomplish our research mission across our affiliate institutions and within the various teams/sections/divisions of the department, the Department of Anesthesiology must have a designated leader of Research working in partnership with faculty across the entire department and our affiliated organizations. In this role as the Vice Chair of Research, the selected individual must maintain a faculty position in the Department of Anesthesiology as an Associate Professor or Professor. In his or her faculty position, the individual must incur and maintain extramural funding, be actively publishing in high profile peer review scientific journals, engage in grant reviews in a variety of national and international scientific study sections, and attend and participate in national and international scientific meetings.
The Vice Chair of Research is an endowed position (Richard Traystman, PhD, Endowed Chair in Anesthesiology) in the Department of Anesthesiology.
The Vice Chair of Research will be accountable for:
Research Mission & Faculty Oversight:
- Leadership in development, implementation and promotion of Department of Anesthesiology programs designed to participate in scientific investigation and research.
- Collaboration with faculty within and across the teams/sections/divisions of the Department of Anesthesiology, other departments, and with the affiliate organizations to develop annual and long-term plans for expanding and in engaging in meaningful research.
- Continue to strive for NIH and Private foundation funding for his or her own research operation as well as for other members of the Department Research unit and continue to maintain top 10 national NIH ranking.
- Promote flow of information within the Department of Anesthesiology, including:
- Research seminars
- Core facilities
- Grant and funding resources
- Initiate and implement faculty mentoring plan and provide support and guidance to all Department faculty
- Complete annual evaluations for all Research faculty utilizing the School of Medicine PRISM process each year.
- Work with existing school, departmental and affiliate organization infrastructure and support personnel, development and use of research guidelines, policies, protocols, and decision support tools.
- Coordination of common research goals utilizing regular research meetings, communications, and forums. Development of economies of scale making the best use of the resources available across the department.
- Actively involved in the management and administration of T32 Grant with heavy emphasis on timely candidate selection while working closely with Education and Departmental Leadership.
- Work with Chair and to organize and structure space allocations within the Department of Anesthesiology
- Work closely with the Academics Program Director on higher level strategy and operational needs and then with the Research Program Manager on the execution of these needs.
- Organize and manage Department Enrichment Funds (DEF) Seed Grant program.
- Assist in organizing and attend the Department’s Annual Research Conference.
- Commit to ensuring the Research Unit promotes and drives initiatives for diversity, equity, and inclusion in Research and the Department of Anesthesiology overall
- Work with Chair and team/section/division Chiefs to identify and facilitate new faculty recruitments to the Department of Anesthesiology
- Represent the Department of Anesthesiology in pertinent meetings as requested by the Chair, and in some instances on behalf of the Chair.
- Serve as a representative on the Department of Anesthesiology Executive Committee with regular attendance at meetings. Provide updates to the Executive Committee related to the research efforts being conducted by our faculty.
- Attend the Department leadership meetings as requested. Provide updates related to the research programs being conducted throughout our department and affiliate organizations.
- Ensure the Chair is invited to pertinent research meetings.
- Meet regularly with the Chair and in general make every effort to visibly support the research programs of the Department of Anesthesiology.
The Vice Chair of Research is an at-will position that can be changed at any time based on performance of specified duties.
Supervision Received: This position reports directly to the Chair
Supervision Exercised: Department Basic Science Research Faculty; Adult Clinical Research PRAs; Pediatric Clinical Nurse; iC42 Clinical Lab Director; Director of Adult Clinical Research; Director of Pediatric Clinical Research; Director of Clinical Scholarship
Forms Dyad with: Academic Program Director and Research Program Manager
Other Key Relationships:
- Department: Vice Chair of Finance & Administration; Vice Chair of Education; Department Clinical Research Faculty
- Research Administrative Team: Administrative Assistant to Research and Grant Coordinators
To review the full job description for the Vice Chair of Education, please use the following link: https://cu.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=22178&lang=en
Per University of Colorado policy, in order for the Vice Chair of Education Search Committee to review your application, you must submit required application materials via the following link: https://cu.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=22178&lang=en
When applying, applicants must include:
- Cover Letter
- Current CV
- Research and Vision Statement
References will be checked during the final phase of the recruitment process.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established at:
Associate Professor (minimum)- $122,700
Professor (minimum) $158,400
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees prior to their employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information on disability accommodations
Office of Equity: https://www1.ucdenver.edu/offices/equity
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Qualifications (for Associate or Full Professor ranks):
- Applicant must have an MD and/or Ph.D, or equivalent degree(s) from an accredited institution
- Applicants must be able to be appointed in an Associate Professor or Full Professor
- A record of current research activity and funding is required
- Ability to appointed as a full Professor or five years of demonstrated independent research experience as an Associate Professor
- Previous leadership experience in academic institutions
- Knowledge in both basic and clinical research
- Experience working or managing a T32 grant
- Intimate knowledge of NIH funding mechanisms and procedures
The Vice Chair of Research will:
- Maintain effective working relationships and consistent communication with departmental leadership
- Ensure consistency in decision-making for the Research Section (no one-off decisions)
- Treat all employees fairly, equally and with respect
- Ensure decision-making is in alignment with Departmental mission, goals, and strategy
- Maintain confidentiality regarding applicable financial, HR-related, and other departmental leadership discussions
For questions about the position, or to speak to someone regarding the position, please contact the Search Committee Chair, Nidia Quillinan, PhD, at Nidia.Quillinan@cuanschutz.edu.
Apply for Vice Chair of Research - Associate Professor or Professor (open rank)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly