COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY ASSOCIATE RESEARCH SCIENTIST
ASSOCIATE RESEARCH SCIENTIST
The Department of Anesthesiology at Columbia University Irving Medical Center, Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons, seeks an Associate Research Scientist in the area of Functional Lung Imagery for the laboratory of Marcos Vidal Melo, MD, PhD. The laboratory is focused on understanding the early determinants of acute lung dysfunction and injury particularly associated with mechanical ventilation and systemic inflammation using Positron Emission Tomography and Computed Tomography techniques. The Associate Research Scientist will work primarily with the analysis of images acquired during animal and human investigations on lung injury and the acquisition of physiological measurements during the studies. The position will provide ample opportunity for presentation and publication and foster the candidate’s career development. The candidate is expected to have good oral and written communication skills. The successful candidate will be integrated into a lab with a strong, collaborative, and collegial scientific environment.
Preferred characteristics include (desirable, not required):
- programming experience with MATLAB, Python, and LabView;
- experience with signal processing, image processing, image analysis including use of AI techniques, numerical analysis, image registration methods, mathematical modeling, and tracer kinetics analysis;
- ability to think creatively and systematically to solve hard problems;
- ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- excellent problem solving and organizational skills;
- experience with animal or human research;
- knowledge of respiratory pathophysiology; and
- education in engineering, or other quantitative sciences.
Qualified candidates must have a PhD, MD, or both in addition to four or more years of research experience in their field. Columbia University offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. This position falls under a collective bargaining agreement.
To formally submit your application and supporting documents, please visit Columbia University’s online application site at the following link: https://apply.interfolio.com/93525
In addition, interested applicants can send their curriculum vitae and summary of prior research experience and goals to Marcos Vidal Melo, MD, PhD, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Columbia University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer—race/gender/disability/veteran.