Director, Congressional Affairs
Director, Congressional Affairs
United States - District of Columbia - Washington
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Director, Congressional Affairs, Government Affairs + Policy
Reporting to the Vice President, Federal Government Affairs, the Director, Congressional Affairs, will play an integral role in developing and implementing coordinated advocacy strategies, initiatives and engagements with federal policymakers around issues that impact Gilead and the biopharmaceutical industry. Based in Washington, D.C., the Director of Congressional Affairs will be a member of the Government Affairs + Policy (GA+P) team and will work closely with State Government Affairs, Policy, and Therapeutic Area leads (i.e., HIV, Liver, Oncology & Cell Therapy).
S/he will advocate for policies to ensure patients' access to innovative therapies, with a strong emphasis on reimbursement and coverage issues in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Additional areas of advocacy may include intellectual property, public health programs, tax, and trade. S/he will also be responsible for working with the key federal committees of jurisdiction and member offices engaged on these issues.
S/he will also work to educate Members of Congress and staff about the challenges facing patients with HIV/AIDS, oncology, Hepatitis B and C and other liver related diseases, as well as advance federal health policies that improve the treatment of these diseases. The position will play an integral role in helping Gilead build relationships with federal legislators.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Work cross-functionally with legal, commercial, and public affairs colleagues to develop and execute advocacy strategies designed to advance Gilead's legislative and regulatory priorities.
- Engage with key lawmakers and staff to advocate for policies that advance Gilead's strategic positions and initiatives and monitor pending legislative activities.
- Draft advocacy materials that articulate rationales in support of policy positions and prepare oral and written materials for internal audiences that summarize legislative and regulatory activities in Washington and explain their potential impact upon Gilead.
- Demonstrate strong analytic and research skills, including a familiarity with legislative, regulatory and policy materials, as well as significant experience engaging in the health care policymaking process.
- Direct, supervise and manage contract lobbyists in support of Gilead's advocacy efforts.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- This position requires a self-starter and team-player able to exercise significant discretion and independent strategic discernment.
- Prior experience working as a Congressional staffer on healthcare issues, preferably in a Senate office, is required.
- Experience working on FDA regulatory issues, Medicare and Medicaid coverage and reimbursement policies, the 340B program and intellectual property laws applicable to drugs and biologics.
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities, including experience with the use of PowerPoint and related tools to make effective presentations.
- Proven ability to build effective relationships with internal and external constituencies and work as part of a cross-functional team advocating on complex health policy issues.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with experience running multiple projects and deadlines effectively.
- BS or BA degree and 8 + years of prior experience in government, government affairs, public affairs or policy role, working on legislative strategy development and execution, or equivalent experience working with the legislative or executive branches
- Experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries strongly preferred.
Gilead Core Values:
- Integrity (Doing What's Right),
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity),
- Teamwork (Working Together),
- Excellence (Being Your Best),
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility).
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans\' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Apply online today at www.gilead.com/careers.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans\' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. Full vaccination is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.\u200b
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---District-of-Columbia---Washington/Director--Congressional-Affairs_R0022468-3
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency