Associate General Counsel (Senior Director) Global Oncology
Associate General Counsel (Senior Director) Global Oncology Head of Global Therapeutics Areal Legal Attorney
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
The Global Oncology Head attorney is responsible for providing legal support on a broad range of legal and compliance issues in a fast-paced environment with innovative oncology products. The GTAL team is a critical member of Gilead's Global functions: the primary clients for this role include personnel in Commercial, Medical Affairs, Public Affairs, Government Affairs, Finance, Regulatory, and Clinical Research. This legal team works closely with colleagues in Compliance, Privacy, US Pricing & Access, Competition Law, Regulatory and other groups to ensure the compliant commercialization of our products. The attorney will be expected to collaborate with attorneys in our International Legal, Pricing and Access, Competition Law, Intellectual Property and other legal functions.
The Global Oncology Head provides legal and compliance input into global strategies and tactics, drives alignment and consistency across our international affiliates, and is directly responsible for providing legal support for activities in the United States. Broadly speaking, the role is responsible for oversight of communications about our products and interactions with stakeholders such as healthcare professionals, patients, charitable organizations and third parties retained by our Oncology business in the United States and supporting globally directed initiatives. The Global Oncology Head would also conduct, assist and/or provide input into our compliance policies, training, monitoring, auditing, communications, enforcement, and defense of investigations. The role requires a technically strong and pragmatic lawyer with a track-record as a successful business partner and effective cross-functional operator who is also able to demonstrate professional objectivity and independence when necessary.
Lastly, the Global Oncology Head is responsible for managing two attorneys who support Oncology: one will be based in the US supporting the US Oncology Marketing Team, and the other will be based in the UK supporting the European-based affiliate.
The role is based is based in Foster City, California, reporting to the Senior Associate General Counsel-Head of the Global Therapeutic Area Support in the Commercial Legal Department. This role is currently remote while the Company's offices remain closed due to the pandemic.
Essential Duties and Job Functions
- Provide prompt guidance and approval to the various Oncology Indication Leadership Team, and any related sub-teams on various Commercial and Medical Affairs' global strategic activities and documents.
- Acting as a point-of-contact between the Oncology Indication Leadership Team and key affiliates' legal counsels related to projects and activities, specifically coordinating with such counsels to help ensure alignment and understanding of the global initiatives.
- Collaborating with Public Affairs and Government Affairs on global /cross-border initiatives to help ensure alignment and consistency with Gilead's policies and procedures.
- Partnering with the Global Leads for other therapeutic areas to ensure alignment and consistency in the advice provided to their respective Indicational Leadership Teams.
- Partnering with the Global Compliance Team to provide insights into Training and Monitoring, as well as, with Risk Assessments/Anti-Bribery-Anti-Corruption, and Value and Access to coordinate our global efforts.
- Managing a talented team of brand attorneys based in the United States and Stockley Park.
- Have a Juris Doctorate from an internationally recognized accredited law school.
- Be a member in good standing of the State Bar of California, or ability to acquire status of Registered In-House Counsel from the California Bar, or equivalent.
- 8-10 years prior in-house or law firm experience providing legal counsel on the laws and regulations relating to drugs or devices, demonstrating growth and ability to succeed.
- Knowledge of the US Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, HIPAA, privacy-laws, advertising laws and regulatory guidances, Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and other government regulation of pharmaceutical products OR similar laws internationally is require, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other relevant anti-bribery laws, guidance on Patient-Focused Drug Development activities, and legal contract principles.
- Must have demonstrated high EQ and client-service orientation; able to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent situations and demanding clients.
- Must have demonstrated skills, depth and expertise depending in area(s) of responsibility.
- Must have experience managing and leading a legal team with vision and demonstrated commitment to excellence.
- Have exceptional and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Operates at a high level of autonomy and who has proven that he or she is able to very competently lead a complex area of responsibility or department that requires significant experience.
- Has proven judgment in working through complex issues, including those with significant strategic risk to the company. Developing ability to apply judgment to areas outside of core competency.
- Leadership and project management in crossfunctional projects, and willingness to take initiative
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Detail-oriented and well-organized
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. Full vaccination is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Associate-General-Counsel--Senior-Director--Global-Oncology-Head-of-Global-Therapeutics-Areal-Legal-Attorney_R0022408
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency