Director, State Government Affairs - Southern Region
Director, State Government Affairs - Southern Region
United States - South Region
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
- Must have deep expertise in government affairs and excellent business judgment and analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills are a must.
- Must have demonstrated project-team orientation.
- Ability to work cross-functionally in an organization and partner with outside groups such as advocates and associations.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Manages, and coordinates strategies, initiatives, operations and activities related to state legislation, regulations, programs and executive branch affairs.
- Geographic region includes AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, PR, and SC.
- Emphasis on management of contract lobbyists in AL, FL, GA, KY, LA and possibly additional states.
- Must be located in the geographic region.
- Directs a strong network of state contract lobbyists who will further the corporation's objectives.
- Implements strategies to ensure that Gilead's participation in various trade associations is maximized.
- Superior time management and organizational skills with the ability to negotiate conflicting priorities.
- Frequent travel (up to 50%) within supporting region and other key State Capitals as needed.
- Conducts cross-functional collaboration with Managed Markets and brand team counterparts in the region on Medicaid issues. Schedules an abundance of calls and meetings that will require travel.
- Promotes a positive presence for Gilead Sciences among state legislators and Executive Branch personnel for the purpose of facilitating and enhancing Gilead's goals of reducing adverse government actions and promoting government policies that enhance Gilead's mission.
- Develops a comprehensive understanding and assessment of state political, legislative and budget processes and analyzes environments with regard to HIV treatment and prevention, viral Hepatitis, oncology, and Gilead's expanding therapeutic areas.
- Monitors the state legislative/regulatory environment with the objective of providing Gilead's management with sophisticated information and counsel on dealing with developments so that the corporation's interests are achieved.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the government affairs department and policy department (as well as other Gilead departments) to ensure that each department is aware of issues affecting Gilead's business, departmental activities are consistent with government affairs initiatives, government affairs initiatives are consistent with Gilead policy objectives, and help Gilead identify opportunities to work with the government to advance its mission.
- Business acumen and professionalism required to gain the respect of broad cross-section of industry, community, medical and policy stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work with internal and external cross-functional teams.
- Strong management experience and clear competencies with the Office suite of programs and applications such as PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
Education and Experience:
- BS or BA degree required.
- Successful candidates generally have 10-12 years of experience in government, government affairs, public affairs or policy. Strong preference for experience in state government- legislature, Governor's office, agency or similar.
- Master's degree or experience in biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry is preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of Medicaid, The Ryan White CARE Act, state ADAP programs, and the Affordable Care Act is preferred.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com opens new window" target="_blank" href="https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=2499241&targetURL=mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com for assistance.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications and advice from internal and external experts, Gilead has made the decision to require all U.S. employees and contractors to receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. Full vaccination is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---South-Region/Director--State-Government-Affairs---Southern-Region_R0022278-1
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency